In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cheap truck gun??

sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Ask the Experts

Recently picked up a Rossi mdl 88 stainless 2" .38 spcl. The issue I see is the cylinder will rotate clockwise with the hammer down. It won't rotate counterclockwise unless cocking the hammer. Is this a case of a worn out cylinder or could I be so lucky as just needing to give the internals a good cleaning? It appears the gun might never have been thoroughly cleaned. It came with box and papers so I took a chance on it. Hoping it doesn't need more in repairs than what I paid for it, which wasn't a lot,,,,, but still.

Arrivederci gigi

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

If the notches on the side of the cylinder appear o.k. then the cylinder stop or cylinder stop spring would be my guess. Either worn or gunked up inside enough to keep it from engaging. Bob

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

When the revolver is 'at rest' the bolt should be protruding up thru the frame and and locked into the cylinder notch. If it is not something internally is preventing it. Take the sideplate off and observe the operating function. Particularly, watch watch what happens when you release the trigger. The bolt should remain in the the lock (up) position.

It's a Rossi. Mine had a problem with the cylinder release thumb piece. I got it to work but it is still very hard to open. Good luck.

Note: spraying the mechanism with carb / brake cleaner and then spraying with a lubricant MAY solve or help the problem.

• Options

OK guys, thanx for the info. When I get a chance I'll try to get a look inside n see what seems to be going on. The gun doesn't appear to have been fired a whole lot, but as stated earlier, it doesn't look like it's been cleaned either.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

What is the purpose of a "Truck Gun" ??

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭

Around here, something in the "truck" rural areas, that will work when needed, rifle, pistol, shotgun and you don't have to care about the care or maintenance of it. Could be yote in the field, drag out the rifle and plug away. Could be copperheads around, for me it's the shotgun, no need to miss and NO, I don't let them live around my rural "mansion" getaway. Pistol could be used for anything, plinking cans at the end of the oil field lease lane., keeping it on me while walking in the woods for whatever, ect. ect. Almost all my rural people around me has at least one or all three with them. Handy if you need them.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭

Grasshopper nailed the phrase perfectly .

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

Never trust a truck gun you aren't sure will shoot with your life!!!! I keep a Springfield XDs 45acp in my truck that I shoot and clean regularly. Don't sell your life for a few dollars!

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

I have no use for a handgun companion in my farm pickup. My 'truck/UTV guns' are all centerfire rifles. I'll never forfeit a chance to nail a predator in the interest of 'going cheap' with a short range 'truck gun'. I'd rather spend that centerfire round on a small varmint rather than watch a coyote walk away from a 22rimfire @200 yards. My current 'truck gun' is a 5.45x39 AR while the UTV is equipped with a .223 version--adequate for any vermin that walks in the MidWest.

• Options

Well, I guess the term has different meaning to folk, maybe depending on geography and vocation. Thanks to those who explained the possible problem with the cylinder stop/spring. A few applications of gun blaster, followed by much needed cleaning and a few drops of Tetra Gun lubricant and everything seems to be functioning just fine. It's no Ruger, Smith or Colt, but should still do the trick.

Thanx!

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

No longer actively farm but my truck gun is a sks . Bone stock but bullet proof .never a doubt about it working when needed.Powerful enough for anything I am going to encounter in my part of eastern nc

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
This discussion has been closed.