In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

These people actually live in the USA.

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at topic on a forum by some people in New York. Surely it has to be NYC? I don't think the rest of the state is that far gone yet, is it?

Here was a question some guy ask:

So what happens to dads guns if he was the sole owner and passed away? Does the state own them? does his will give him the power to decide where they go?

Here's is an answer he gets:

This is my understanding, The handguns can be dual permitted with someone in the same house. If not the Sheriff takes the weapons for safe keeping, the weapons will eventually be destroyed. The weapons can be sold, the new potential owner must pass a NICS check just as if they are purchasing a new weapon at a GS.

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

Does the state own them?

No

does his will give him the power to decide where they go?

Yes

They are personal property and part of the estate. If the heir is not legally allowed to own them, he should refuse possession. That's where it becomes a conundrum.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, but.....

...you do have to follow your state's laws on transfer of firearms, even after you die. But, it's not that complicated. In most states your "personal representative" is responsible for disposition of your property. If you want a specific person to get your guns, he has to pass the transfer process; if he is unable to do that, your personal representative must pick someone else. If he can't, the guns usually have to be surrendered to the police for destruction.

Choose wisely.

Neal