In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1887 Winchester Value

44mag444mag4 Member Posts: 47

I just stumbled upon a average 1887 12 ga Winchester. However the butt stock has been broken and repaired. The repair is visible but, very solid. Other than that, it has no rust, no dings in the barrel, finish has turned brown and the action works just as it should. I realize from my poor description it will be a guess as what the value is. However, I would appreciate any ideas of value. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭

Did you pay something for it? If you did then that would be it’s value at the time you bought it. If you received it free, say as a gift and with the repairs you say it has had, and the condition of the finish, and I’m assuming it functions as it should, then value is what you could sell it for. An auction would be the only true indicator of it’s value I would say.

Here is an example of how things can change. I bought a pistol once for 2k, it had been re-blued and functioned well, I put it up for action here on GB, it brought over 30k. Bottom line, it’s worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Put it up for auction, it's a neat old piece.

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

I paid about 800, 10 years ago for a very similar example. You will want to check the barrel/chamber as these were often fired with black powder and not cleaned leading to some serious pitting. As mentioned, it worth what an auction will bring, but I would say perhaps in the $1200 range. YMMV. Also, I'm not sure if the 1887's have polishing room descriptions or not, (have to check with Bert H, or the Cody museum) but browning instead of bluing or case hardening was I believe an option.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know what the monetary value is,but the cool old gun value is 1000+

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

My copy of the 2015 blue book, lists at,

20% $775

30% $900

40% $1100

50% $1325

60% $1875

70% $2200

The receiver should be color case hardening. you can determine the percentage of finish left and look at value, plus 7 years

of increased value since the book is 7 years old. good luck.