In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arisaka something???

ChomotChomot Member Posts: 5

I have a barrel and action of what looks like a type 38 but it is chambered for 7.7mm and it has two vent holes, not one like a 99. The barrel is about 30.5" long not including the threads into the action and it has an unprotected front sight blade. Once I figure out what this is my plans is to hopefully collect all the parts needed to make it whole again as a restoration project.

Was there a transition at one time for upgrades to be just sent out using what parts on on the shelf?

Any help and advice will be well received and appreciated.

Chomot

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Have you checked the bore diameter to confirm that it is 7.7mm and not 6.5mm. I am not aware of any Type 38's being chambered in 7.7mm, but I am not an expert. The Type 38 magazine is not long enough for the 7.7mm cartridge.

• Options
    Anti KueAnti Kue Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Some captured rifles were converted to 8X57 Mauser by China (that was their standard military round). Later they converted some to 7.62X39 (the new standard), but I think most of those were carbines (short barrel).

• Options

Originally I just used a tape measure and saw it was larger than 6.5MM so I figured it was 7.7. I took a new measurement with a Vernier and it is showing 7mm ish??? Also attached are some other photos to help ID it. Thanks for the great help.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

Your rifle is a type 38; the 2 holes in the receiver ring (as you pointed out) and the bolt handle notch in the bridge are key. The type 99 does not have those features. Your caliper reading shows .275" which is approximately .010" too large for a 6.5mm (.264") and .010" too small for a 7mm (.284). Since that appears to be the original barrel, I would guess that it is a 6.5 and worn at the muzzle from being cleaned from the muzzle. That will be an expensive restoration project, especially since you could probably find an original complete type 38 for less than the restoration cost.

While this has nothing to do with your question, if that rifle were mine, I would consider a re-bore to .300 Savage or .308 Win. Or a re-barrel to some other short action cartridge. The type 38 was a strong action and it would be a shame to discard it. But the time of converting Japanese return rifles to hunting use was in the 1950's and 60's. To start such a project now would be difficult and probably prohibitively costly.

Just my opinion and good luck.

• Options

Hi Ambrose,

Your knowledge and advice of the situation is well received as me not knowing much about this but having a dream of doing something worthy of the effort vs the reality of dealing with the complexity and costs is a good discussion. I would rather find out about all these details now before getting started than afterwards once a lot of time and costs are expended.

You bring up a good point about converting it as the action is a nice to have but I have a good hunting rifle so I do not need another one. What would be the value of finding a complete type 38 Frankenstein rifle (assembled from different parts) with a ground off Mum and swapping out this one with and intact Mum?

I guess the question is what to do with this that makes since?

Thanks for the chat

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

I have type 38 stocks an some parts left in inventory. But as been stated. Its a lot of money for a restoration. Now if it was a family bring back, it's different. Hardest part to find besides the bolt is the hand guard. If I can help let me know. Mike