In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Replacement grips for a Herters s/a .22?

sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

The existing grips are ill-fitting plastic (micarta)? They're curved at the top, where they meet the frame, but that's the only thing that makes me think they might be original. It's a fairly diminutive little revolver, but larger than a Bearcat, I think? Wondering if I could start with Roughrider grips (plentiful) and make them work with some shaping and sanding. Any info would be appreciated.

Arrivederci gigi

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

If the grip screw is in the same place then I don't see why that wouldn't work as long as the Roughrider grips are big enough to cover the grip frame. Bob

P.S. You are the proud owner of one of the finest 22s ever made. At least that is what I remember reading in the the Herters catalogue.😊

• Options

I'll have to go to my local Bi-Mart and handle 1 of the Roughriders. My revolver appears to be a combination of pot metal, plastic and steel. Made in W Germany, but not sure that means "well" made.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah my "one of the finest" comment was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek. However for the casual shooter they do work o.k.

Herters had a lot of their revolvers made in Germany. I would wager yours is made by either Herbert Schmidt or Reck. You might do a search for grips under the makers name. Bob

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Rohm Gesellschaft (RG) might also be considered as a possibility besides Herbert Schmidt and Reck (Karl Arndt). Sauer & Sohn is said to have furnished higher powered revolvers for Herter's. You can find a lot of pictures of these guns online to aid your search.

• Options

Thanks folks! I searched YouTube for all of the above and mine was definitely made by Reck. That at least gives me some direction in my search.

Arrivederci gigi