In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Did you know there's a Chevy Astro and GMC Safari forums?

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

They'll have a forum for anything.

Kind a glad they do and there was a link to Journey's Offroad where I saw some bumpers I liked (but not the price like $3K). I wonder if biden/newsom will send government funding?

Comments

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭

Auto/Truck forums abound.

Over the years I've been on three of them.

For my 98 Grand Cherokee......our 08 Toyota 4Runner......and my 92 3000GT VR4

I wonder if there's one for the Audi R8........hmmmmm....

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

If he did he'd probably be hammered for mentioning another forums site, same rules as this one has.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

"Did you know there's a Chevy Astro and GMC Safari forums?"

Wow, I bet the requirements to become a member are really tough. Probably a closed membership due to overcrowding.

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Did you know there's a Chevy Astro and GMC Safari forums?

Well, yes I did know! I'm actually a member there. Tons of great info and how to videos on that site. If you have any notion of upgrading suspension or drivetrain on an AWD Safari/Astro, those are the guys who can talk you through it.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭

Never went looking but I would wager there is sites forums for any thing any one could come up with

• Options

montanajoe - haven't joined, yet. I wanted to have a peek before committing. I wonder how many of them soccer moms are packing more than lunches and juice boxes?

sxsnuf - Cool as soon as I get the ride I'll be joining with all the ride's info. I was just bruising through thinking all of them must be rust buckets with folks throwing cash on that dumpster fire. Like tricking out Ravens. I did learn there are other rides one can use the parts off to keep them on the road.

Something I'm not looking forward is getting at the sparkplugs. I hear and saw the engine compartment is tight but beyond that there isn't much to the ride. Pretty simple to keep on the road.

So what you got and what have you done?

Ditch-Runner - I reckon so. Unless it's a Yugo. There can't be many of those on the road.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

I drove my old Chevy Citation up until the front seat was in danger of falling through the floor.

My mechanic called that car a "Throw Away" and to never let its shadow ever again grace his shop. Pretty sure all of those tin-can cars of the Citations ilk have gone on to junkyard car heaven. Surly, no need to even gander at an internet site looking for their ghosts!

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't Red Greene president of the "K" car society?

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I am not really impressed when I see a Toyota or older Nissan,even a Ford or Chevy with 300,000 miles,but I was very impessed when I saw a Renault LeCar with 300,000.They usually have a life span of bout 60,000.The owner credited synthetic fluids for the LeCars long life.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

"Pretty sure all of those tin-can cars of the Citations ilk have gone on to junkyard car heaven."

I wouldn't count on them being in heaven 'cause they didn't deserve to be there. When I worked at TVA back in the 80s when you got a car out of the car pool to take a trip in, it was one of those K cars. Those were the worse cars I've ever driven. In order to get over 65 mph I'd have to draft an 18 wheeler going up hills. They were worse than the old 6 cylinder Ford Falcons that had the 2 speed Ford-O-Matic auto transmission.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭

speaking of K cars

my dad bought one maybe 1984 or so . from a local used car dealership it was maybe a year old and was a demo show car supposedly Chrysler had used it for displays and dealerships and shows to get attention to the K cars it was basic white but had metallic blue and shades of several blue painted on the sides and hood trunk and so on the trend at the time in fancy paint for cars and vans ( I may have a old photo some where ) I have never seen one like it or even close so the story may have been true it was his pride and joy he loved showing it off . he drove it for years many years every day to work about 30 to 50 mile round trip a day over time the paint started fading and he ask if I could repaint it at thet time I was doing some painting nothing great just back yard work

( at the time it was beyond any think I could do and even now would be a challenge . I painted more than few cars and trucks but straight color or two tone it broke his heart when he traded it in but got a astro conversion van with all the bells and whistles and still had it when he passed on. I think one of my sisters and her husband still have it ( well whats left )

when I hear K car I think of him I dont think he ever had any trouble with it just regular Maintenace items

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

I used to drive by a fellow's place in Meridian that had a log splitter made out of a k car. He would drive it around the lot as he stacked firewood for sale. hydraulic pump ran off of the fan belt.

• Options

So got a call today stating the van will be here Saturday. I was told it "should" pass smog. We'll see.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

I think Reddit really makes forums almost obsolete. It is one stop shopping for everything on the internet.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

The internet is a big place.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******

LOL, yeah it is kinda a world wide web....

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

It is where those in the Corvette forums hang out before the mid-life crisis.

Don

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options

So yosh, did you get the new ride yet?

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Lol, people want to belong so badly

• Options

I guess that's why we're here??

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options

Got the ride Saturday and got her papered at the dmv on Monday. Lawed that place needs suicided watch monitors. 15 windows and only 5 people warming the seats and half a dozen "chit-chatting".

So I now know what I have. 1994 (same year as my Caprice) GMC Safari SLX All Wheel Drive. A little darker than my Light Metallic Driftwood Caprice. Had a third row seating but dude sold the bench. If I had all the back seats and they laid flat I would've just need to lay down the * and tint the windows otherwise there would be a show. Seems she has a 27 gallon tank. I'll be needing a loan for fill ups. I'll be looking for a lazy susan swivel seat so I can get in and out easier (I'll have to join the forum to ask that question).

But first I'll need to build a center console so I can get my "gangsta lean" on and keep all my crap close by. So the ride has a CD player. Fancy I know, right? I got "In This Moment" Blood currently in the player. I can now dig out the CDs to play in the ride. I get to play Rammstein and head bang down the road. May have to build a box to house 12" woofers. I wonder how much car audio has advanced since 1991? Definitely need to lay down sound deadener. Get a roll of Grace Ice Shield for the low budget sound deadener.

Drove her to work and I'm still getting used to getting in. have to step up, pivot plant * on seat and spin. Definitely not to be attempted while drinking. So that is why I want the lazy susan swivel seat. Also riding high is something to get used to after 20 years in a sedan. The pedals are also tight in the space. I wonder if I can shift the brake pedal towards the wheel well to give me more space. Not made for big feet.

Engine bay is tight and maintenance will be a sailor's delight. Not looking forward to the tasks.

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

That’s one forum I’m glad I don’t have to visit. Company I used to work for decided the Toyota Tacoma with 330K trouble free miles was time to be retired. What do they do? Buy another Toyota Tacoma? Nah let’s put our salesman who drives 1000 miles a week into a pos Chevy Astro. That thing didn’t even make it to 80K miles before needing a new transmission. Constantly had air conditioning problems and being I drove in places with 110 degree summer I needed A/C. Plus a host of other things that went bad with it. I know some love the Astro but I hated the one I drove.

• Options

I do like the high ride. It's like driving while standing up. They do 2" lifts to the vans but I don't think I need to. The previous owner did put on different wheels (15") so it might be taller than stock?

I do like the Journeys Offroad bumpers $1400-$1800 for the fronts and a $1000 for the rear. Looks cool but I may be too cheap to spend the cash. Even though I only paid a grand for the ride. Turning her in to an overlander to get groceries might be silly but if I go bumper to bumper with some soccer mom I think the Journeys would put her in place.

Looked for the lazy susan swivel chair but they don't seem to make them for my generation 1 ride. I'll have to contact them (Discount RV Furniture). For nearly $300 they should mod it for me on the house. I wonder if medical device place might be another source?

• Options

Sounds like you did OK Yosh. They came with 15 in wheels and (I think) p215 tires. I put 235s on mine and got a little bit more ground clearance, had the torsion keys cranked up for another in. or so in the front. Coil over shocks on the rear and it sits just a bit up in back, until you put a load in it. Mine's a 97 AWD Safari and I got it for something to take up on FS roads for hunting and fishing. Wanted a little bit more ground clearance than stock, so now I have that. Took the back seats out and the cargo area is cavernous for a mini van. Can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood and lots of room to sleep while staying warm and dry. Last time I visited Journey Off Road's site, they were only selling bumpers if the customer came to AZ and picked them up. Seems they had too much damage in shipping?? Makes me wonder about the durability of something that was built to run into things. They are good looking though. I seem to recall the pre 95s (and even some 95s) had fiberglass leaf springs and were prone to sagging. Journeys sells a replacement for those or some folks use S-10 leaf springs, but those lift the rear end 2 or more inches. Lots of options and possibilities with those old Van's. Lots of torque for a 6 cylinder, but mine is NOT easy on gas. Couldn't use it as a daily driver with today's fuel prices, but I didn't use it for that, even when gas was cheap.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options

Getting a running ride that passes smog for a grand is a steal in this day and age. I still need to give him a few more bucks.

He mentioned the wheels were from something else because he had Pirelli 255s.

After reading the '94s got more powa baby. So I was glad for that. Still got OBD1 baby. My smog guy's gonna hate me still.

The cargo space is big. Like able to put in "bunk bed" cots big.

I thought Journeys was built tough? Damaged from shipping? Sounds like a pass unless they're using heavier gauged steel now. I can imagine the whole front end popping off if you use the winch.

Dude was telling me this had the fiberglass leafs. But since he didn't haul (much?) even though there is a tow rig under. The butt don't sag. I even asked if this was lifted because she rides high. Driving like I'm standing up.

I did read the S10 springs will raise the back end up. Good to know there are other options for swaps.

I'll find out about the MPG since I just filled up and I'll be doing the math. The 16/20 MPG is bad when my Caprice with 5.7 V8 does 19/25 MPG. Yes I know I'm pushing a brick but the van is 500 pounds lighter.

First thing I do need to do is the Brake Pedal mod. My big ol' clompers is in danger of stepping on both pedals at the same time. The guys had shown me a few mods on the GMC Forum.

Now I have to think of a name with a Safari animal.

• Options

I noticed my arms feel tired after driving the van. Maybe I'm fighting the wheel? I know the wheel bounces from road. And the way the seats are like crappy straight backed office chairs. Definitely not a long drive cruiser.

So I get to haul my scam California Refund Value (CRV) recyclables later today for beer money in the van. I no longer have to run it twice like in my Caprice because the van has so much room. I may have to stop and get whippers since the ones on the ride sucks.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

pipe wrench and a little muscle should get that brake perdal bent over towards the wheelwell................

• Options

Yosh, go to Overland Van's website and you'll see what that old body style can look like. Of course, it won't be cheap. Just put the gun budget on hold. 😁

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options

Learned a few bits about the van. Found the window stickers and I learned the ride is a 2 wheel drive and not "All Wheel Drive" as I was told. I could be wrong that dude could have had the bottom re-done. I think I need to get the crawler out.

The ride may have the 165Hp instead of the 200Hp because of the "Z" in the vin. Another disappointment.

I learned from the sticker that the SLX is the California trim. So it's a base model.

• Options

Shouldn't need the crawler yosh. On mine, at least, you can easily see the transfer case and front driveline from the side. From the front, you can also see the "pumpkin" between the front wheels. Might be different on your van though. If your research is valid, I wouldn't feel the "need to give him a few more bucks". Just sayin.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options

I wanna get the crawler so I can check the hoses, lines and whatever else while I'm on my back like a stuck turtle. I wanna also check the ABS sensor he said he broke while riding up on something (got the light on on the dash).