In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Going to my first NASCAR race

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

We will be in Charlotte next month and needed something to do with my kids on Friday evening, as luck would have it the NASCAR Truck series is running that Friday night.

Taking my wife and 3 boys.

Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

Ear plugs or muffs would be highly appropriate. Bob

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Ear protection, buy the cheapest tickets and then sit wherever you like.. You will pretty much have the place to yourselves.

Check me on this but I think kids are free at truck and infinity races.

I hope you guys enjoy.. Nothing better than family time

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Ear plugs/muffs esp for the young ones!

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

agree hearing protection

my one trip to a NASCA race at the time wife and I and kids ( who were young ) went to Martinsville had decent seats in 1st corner could see all the track got to meet a few of the drivers walking around . it was fun kids enjoyed it but such a small track every few laps there was a minor crash and restart 🤨 but over all glad we went at least once

hope you have a great time

when we went NASCAR was top of the draw for popularity and the place was packed what did me in was the "group " must have been one family "big family 😲 " about 8 or ten maybe more all around us and every one of them should have bought two tickets one for each side of the butt , no kidding it was a struggle to keep just enough room to sit even with our kids being young the over weight group kept spilling over and pushing and expanding into our seats ..wife told me just keep quiet and deal with it 😐️ then all was over the traffic and parking lot jam and a bunch of " who cares "people in the parking lot and in traffic playing ball bouncing off peoples cars with there body and the ball no cares as too whos car . I had already told my wife first SOB that hits my car with the ball or there butt it was going to be on .. lucky I am guessing for me they missed our car but got close several times )

I took along a head phone / radio to listen to the drivers and crew but it got old quick just remember make sure to take hearing protection

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

+100 on ear protection- including kids. Sound levels are similar to an active deck on an aircraft carrier.

No firearms allowed.

Seats get REAL hard (and cold). Take GOOD seat cushions. They come in handy for ball games at the school if you have kids.

Expect food/ drink to cost what dinner at a 3 star Michelin restaurant would cost.

Waiting line for the potty (especially for the ladies) will be longer than the line to get in the track.

Waiting line to get OUT of the parking lot after the race is longer than the wait to get IN the parking area.

Souvenirs. Check on second mortgage before the race.

My lady was an ardent NASCAR fan- funny since she was English. We used to go to Richmond, South Boston and Martinsville. Had a ball. Really heavy crowds, truck races not so crowded, attendance is down.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

I saw Marty Robbins race at the Nashville Fairgrounds in 1966. Purple and Gold Dodge. Old Marty managed to race in 36 NASCAR races during his career. He had 6 top 10 finishes and one top 5. Not bad for just 35 races.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******

If you set down low, you will get pelted with chicken bones.

• Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

High in the stands provides the best view. We sat in the first turn, sorta close to the end of it and could see the whole track.

If the Sandwich Construction Shop is still open, it is an interesting visit.

LOTS of raceshops in the area to visit if you can. Hendriks Motorsports is not too far from the track. Several museum's in the area too.

Have fun!

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Why?..................................

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

Hope you and the kids enjoy yourselves!

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Years ago I took the wife and daughter to the July race at Daytona. It was crazy hot, but my daughter wanted to see Jeff Gordon run. I was getting sunburned and sweating like a pig. The crowd started throwing a beach ball around before the start of the race. Watching them having a good time I see the ball getting close to us. It was hit to a Nolan Ryan looking guy two rows in front of me. He punched it and he made a strike right into my face. Wow, the crowd loved it. Me not soo much. We still laugh about it. Maybe a catchers mask next time.