In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Am I a bad (new) buyer on GB? (long post)

ArbanasArbanas Member Posts: 1
edited April 2022 in General Discussion

This is my first post on this board. Been on GB since 2009, but never bid until recently. Was looking for a Savage 99 in .250 Savage and preferred a 1:10 twist barrel. Bid on a couple and missed. Found one with a responsive seller who I spoke to on the telephone. He measured the twist rate for me to confirm. Seller was a very nice person, but the pictures were less than ideal, so I phoned him about some discoloration that appeared like water damage on the buttstock. He said someone else had asked him as well and that there was absolutely no water damage. He informed me that it was a knot or wood grain at the end of the butt. I was confident since the seller was so responsive and is a certified gunsmith.

After winning the auction, I noticed one picture seemed to show a small crack in the stock at the tang. He assured me that the "crack" was wood grain as well. At this point, however, I was the winner and I realized I should have asked sooner. He is a very small volume seller with very few, but positive seller ratings. Cashier's check was sent right away and FFL the following day.

Well, I get the rifle and the end of the buttstock has 1/4" to 1/2" (mostly one side) water damage and the butt plate is rusty/pitted with most of the finish gone. I understand it is my fault for not asking for verification pictures, so I tell the seller about it and let him know that I'm going to leave neutral feedback because he and I spoke about the water damage. He maintained he thought it was wood grain, but said he hardly looked at the gun before packing. I maintain that there is no mistaking the water damage for wood grain or knots. Curiously, the auction pictures omitted the end of the stock on both sides. Also, the stock, indeed, has small crack at the tang, but I had already won the auction when I inquired.

I emailed the seller my proposed feedback statement so that he could look at it and let me know if he thought it was too harsh. I didn't know if my experience is typical and that I should just shut up and give him a good rating and move on because that is, well, GunBroker. Before I heard from him, the seller gives me neutral feedback, but his comment was positive. I replied to his neutral feedback and feel quite slighted by it. The seller and I shared some texts about it. Told him I thought it was underhanded, but that I would keep the rifle. I don't want to be that guy, but I did text him later to find out the return value, less his fees, shipping, etc. He offered no response even though gave him the option to tell me "done deal". I would just chalk it up to experience. I bought it as a shooter anyway.

So, my question is this. Am I a bad buyer if I go in and change my feedback to negative? I'd go "D" because it was my fault for not confirming. Honestly, this is may be my first and last purchase on GB because of, what I think is, a bad experience. Comments are appreciated.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928912186

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

It seems like you went about it reasonably, and he wanted nothing to do with it. IMO, that's what feedback is for. I just went thru a similar issue with a seller, but we worked something out and both parties were happy.

• scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with toad…you have some useful feedback that would benefit other potential buyers.

You also might have a case with GB to have his feedback “massaged”.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy you new shooter!

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited April 2022

If you wanted a perfect vintage rifle, you should have asked for a ot more pictures. However, by not showing adequate pictures of the entire rifle, it makes the seller seem like he's hiding something.

Solely my personal opinion.

It looks like a nice example and a fair price.

Also, we're not hearing the seller's side.

Live and learn.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

"Complaints or criticism about GunBroker.com, its staff, its policies, or any buyer or seller on that site. If you have a problem with an auction transaction use the auction feedback system and/or contact tech support."

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

It sounds to me like the seller was playing fast and loose with the facts. Regardless, feedback- including changes, for better or worse, is up to you. Call it the way that you see it.

This discussion has been closed.