In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

It’s a w in and oval

• 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭

Serial number of early 66's were marked on the side of the lower tang on early guns then it was moved to the outside next to the trigger and then to back of the lower tang where it was on the 73's. If that number on the bottom next to the barrel is the serial number, it should be next to the trigger. That W mark on the receiver looks like a old mark but I don't recall ever seeing one like that. The barrel caliber mark is obvously a wrong since 32-40 is too long of cartridge of the action unless they were feeding it by hand and then you still would have the issue that the gun would have to be setup for center fire and I would worry thet the chamber would not handle the pressure unless the barrel has been swapped with something else. The questions I would have is it center fire? next would be is it chambered for 32-40? Pull the stock and see what is marked under there as well.

Bob

NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg

Thanks for the info may be the week end before I can get to that but will supply pics of what I see under there

This one is marked on bottom of receiver right behind for arm

The barrel is not a 32 caliber it’s a lot bigger than 32

• 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭

This gun has many things that does not follow the standard 1866 built by Winchester. The serial and barrel caliber which were stamped on by someone other than the manufacture. The barrel address is not a address used by the Winchester. It contains the "USA" which didn't show up until about 1887 on other guns and the patent date August 21 1862 from I can read is not a patent date they used. The W proof stamp which I have never seen before. This gun is a mystery. Interested if there is a serial number under the stock.

NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg

The butt stock?

If so I’ll take a look soon as I can

edited May 2022

Thanks for all the help I’ve been collecting winchesters since the late 70s but very few were lever guns my dad always told me the rule with old winchesters was there was no rule

Added pics with butt off

This discussion has been closed.