In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I was thinking about going fishing.

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in The Fishing Hole!

I used to spend a light of nights and days too on the beach surf fishing. But I guess I haven't been since before 2007 because that is when N.C. started requiring a salt water fishing license and I never purchased one, till tonight. The bill was $48.00 including a $5.00 donation to "take a kid fishing. I have some nice light tackle Penn spinning reels and custom rods in the utility building. I haven't seen my tackle box in years, so I thought I would just order a few lures. Holly CraP!! Mirrow Lures are $13.00 and Rapalas are $22.00!!! Man I don't want to fish with stuff I am afraid to loose.

Comments

• wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭

I can relate to this post so much.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

Look at what old,quality fishing tackle is going for.Old Mitchell reels were investments.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭

No kidding. Golf and fishing are my two main retirement hobbies. Prices for all gear has seemingly been tied to gasoline prices - shooting up faster than anything by SpaceX. There are lures being used in California that cost several hundred dollars apiece. Like you, I'd be terrified to cast one.

I'm not poor but I won't spend $25 for a LiveTarget lure, no matter how infallible it is said to be. They're just fish, for Pete's sake. I can still catch 'em on a worm - either alive or plastic.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I fished a river in Northern Illinois for over 35 years when I used to live up there. It is called the Rock River for a good reason. I can not even begin to guess how many Spinnerbaits, inline spinners, Rapalas and jigs of every type I lost in those waters.

But it was worth every cent !!! Fishing was my sanity keeper during my working years !!

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited October 2022

My friendmoved to within sight of the New River. I told him " you gotta get a boat" and he did. A 16ft Jon boat with a 25 hp Mercury.

Looks like we're going to be doing some muskie fishing this winter.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Surf Fishing is great.. When you get old in SC it is free

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,279 ******

I had a good buddy that would sell me old lures cheap. His hobby, along with fishing was snorkeling for lost lures! He had a plethora of them and quite a few rare ones too!

Sadly, he suffered a massive heart attack and died back '08 at the young age of 52.

I tried some ocean surf fishing once near Murtle Beach back in the early 70's. That tourist destination had nearly everything a man could want except a bait and tackle shop!! 😕 Ended up using canned sardines wrapped up in pieces of my wife's nylon panty hose! Make shift spawn bags! 😁 Ended up with all that work and trouble just drowning a lot of already dead sardines and not a single bite from those elusive shore fish!