In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A new old show to me....Gunsmoke !

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I often stop what I am doing at noon for some lunch and a breather before I get started on the afternoon's project. I discovered Gunsmoke on MeTV. We never watched this in our home when I was growing up. Now I am hooked, what a great old show.

Nothing this entertaining on the tube nowadays.....Any one else discovered a great old show ?

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I grew up watching Gunsmoke and still watch it a couple of times a week. I just checked and there were 635 episodes so you should be entertained for a while.

Personally I prefer the Festus (Ken Curtis) episodes over the Chester (Dennis Weaver) ones. I also liked how one week it was a dark drama and the next a comedy episode. That kept it interesting. Bob

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭

MeTV is a great free channel......................I don't pay for no cable.............also check out GRIT Tv

gri

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

I've gotten hooked on reruns of Highway Patrol, Dragnet, Waltons, and Adam 12 on METV. There's a lot of good stuff along with some real crap on there. But that's why they give you a remote with the TV.

Joe

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

We get two channels with all old shows. There are four Perry Mason shows every day on one of tham (along with Matlock, Mannix, Rawhide, Wagon Train...) The other channel has Gunsmoke and more.

All of them (except for that liberal doofus Griffith/Matlock) are better than almost anything in current production.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

I am sure I have watched every episode twice or more. Getting old you forget a lot after a year. IF you notice sometimes Matt has his gunbelt string tied and sometimes not. And the coyote that howls when they are camped out on the "plains" he has the same howl EVERY time. Also sometimes you will hear two gunshots on the draw and sometimes one. Matt has been shot about 56 times !! Kitty is a real looker in the early shows, better than the later, we all get old. Kitty died from AIDS related disease. There was at least three bartenders also.

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I love those old shows!

I'll add a bit of trivia....that most of you probably already know.

Dennis Weaver almost made the Olympics as a decathlete.

Mannix was one of the Amalakites(sp?) at Jethro's well in the Ten Commandments.......credited as Touch Conners("Touch"......was his nickname). Cheyenne Bodie was also in the movie.

Like I said.....I do love the oldies.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

I never missed Gunsmoke. I would stand in front of our TV with my Shootin-shell gun/gunbelt/holster strapped on and try and out draw Matt. When that shootin-shell hit my TV screen at the same time Matts gun went off I was so proud!! 😁

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

I liked the first 6 years or so, but when Festus came along, the program kept becoming more and more The Festus Show instead of Gunsmoke.

• chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

Great show but why the Doc's office on the second floor. Also I don't remember Matt Dillon ever finishing a beer or cup of coffee.

• RidefarRidefar Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

My favorite was when Matt would give some dirtbag a good old fashioned beating, just because he had it coming.

Ah, the good old days.

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i learned there wee a lot of real mean people in Kansas by watching Gunsmoke.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

Some of my first memories is that we had a big couch.Dad would lay on the couch and I would lay on the big,wide top of the couch and we would watch Gunsmoke.By the end of the episode we would both be sound asleep.I dont guess we ever watched a full episode.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

My dad never missed an episode if he was home.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Like Gunsmoke very much. I do prefer the shows with Festus.

Seems like the Doc's office in a lot of westerns were upstairs.

Any one try to guess how many times Matt had been shot in the left arm?

Seems like I also read Matt had a war wound that gave him the "gait" and he also had to rest often due to the injury.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭

I remember as a 6 year old give or take facing off marshal Dillon every show I would stand in front of the TV and draw against him .

great old show the first shows John Wayne interduced James A. and talked him up about the show and what a good fellow he was

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

In the beginning, back in 1955. The show was just a half an hour. They sure did a lot in that short span and I often enjoy 2 episodes back to back on ME TV.

Also, before Gunsmoke came to TV, it was a radio show staring William Conrad of later "Cannon" fame playing the part of Matt Dillon.

I have noticed that the later episodes saw much less of Marshall Matt Dillon in each show. He may just pop in for a moment or so but many episodes took up Dodge City life starring other characters like Festus, Newly, or ??? James Arness was more or less kind of semi-retired back then.

Notice how life revolved around that old coffee pot or a cold draft beer mug!! Priceless! You can tell I'm a big Gunsmoke fan!😊

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

Gunsmoke/Laramie/The Virginian/Tales of Wells Fargo

Those are my lunch time friends.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

"Bookem Dano" in the afternoons.

Rowdy in Rawhide to.

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

I only watched it to see Miss Kitty and the girls.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I would vote for Matt Dillion for pres.

Matt would be dis-appointed now days if he were a law man and had to wear a body camera and could not shoot until his body camera was recording and/or his chase camera on Old Buck the horse.

Matt kept his jail cells from getting overcrowded by detouring the excess jail birds towards boot hill.

He would be on the news quite often and the pansies, Nancys and democrats would not like his guns and body camera videos.

He was a singer in the sons of the pioneers early on as as young fellow his looks got him parts in different shows from what I have seen on the internet he was not that old scruffy looking fellow

As for Marshall Dillon there is a web site tells how many times he' was shot and here also how many people he shot and did in

His shoulders sure took a lot of abuse lol

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

As I previously said, I really like Gunsmoke!

I recently bought the series "JUSTIFIED" on DVD and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it!!😎

I need to watch that show I know it a older one but never got around to watching it a lot of people seem to enjoy it

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭