In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Henry Tolley 8ga. double ?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

My son recently bought several guns at an estate sale, this was the 'largest'. what can you tell me about it and possible worth?

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

My records show Henry Tolley was in business in Birmingham from 1877 - 1892. From the serial number I would guess this was produced in the later years. One reference stated the records were lost during the bombings in WW2 so I am not sure how to nail down the year it was made any closer than that. Prices seem to be all aver the place, from $1500 for a decent wall hanger, all the way to $6000 for a restored version. It probably would have greater value in England but you would still need to find that one guy that needs it for his collection. Bob

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

thanks Bob, it's tough trying to 'nail down' prices on 'one of a kind' items.

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Very good looking 6 - maybe???? - 8 wire cable (not flat-wrap) Damascus. Unfortunately 8 gauge is not legal for migratory game in America. Finding 8 gauge - black powder shotgun shells - 8 gauge brass or paper cases - 8 gauge reloading equipment is going to be a MAJOR chore.

I no longer have any Damascus barreled shotguns - people in the dove hunting fields wanted them and the black powder shotgun shells more than I did - but I still have the equipment to load brass case 12 - 16 - & - 20 gauge brass black powder shotgun shells. (And if you happen to have any of them - especially European made ones using #57 primers please let me know.)

Here is an 8 gauge article from Dogs & Doubles - https://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2011/07/ammo-for-an-8-gauge/

Best Regards - AQH