In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

We lost another of the greatest generation

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,735 ******

We went to church together up until the Corona hit. He was sharp witted right up to the end. His wife, Dora , is a special lady, too. She sang in the choir and ran a foot race at age 90.

See you at the buck lot, old buddy.

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭✭

All of the kids in my Dad's family were in the service during the war, even my Aunt. They are all gone now, with Dad being the last one to pass away in 2013.

It won't be much longer that all of them will be gone. We owe so much to the brave men and women who served during that war.

RIP all the veterans.

Joe

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭

I notice that at the VA when I go. see a few Korean war vets, but we are down to mostly Nam vets and they are getting more scarce these days...........

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

Never has so much been owed to so few by so many!

Winston Churchill!

RIP

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭

Less than 240,000 US WW2 combat vets left. Hold him high for us all, Jim. The end of an era is approaching quickly.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,102 ******
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,460 ***** Forums Admin

RIP, Old Timer.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,083 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, we are losing about 230 WW II veterans everyday..

RIP and thank you .

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,438 ******

I salute the departed. RIP

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭

When I was growing up it was the rare family that didn't have a WW2 vet. Now out of the dozens and dozens that I knew personally, only one is left. Many of them became leaders of the community, either in business, politics, or public service like law enforcement. Without their guiding hands and principles our society has gone to hell. We didn't appreciate their efforts until they were gone. I sorely miss them. Bob

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,668 ✭✭✭✭

RIP sir..sounds like a guy I would have liked to know....

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,920 ✭✭✭✭

God Bless. Those were different times. My condolences.

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭

...A salute sir for your service, may you rest in peace, you earned it...

...My Dad fought all thru Europe into Germany, as did two Uncles...my other Uncle, a Marine, fought in the Pacific ...truly the greatest generation...

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭

RIP to another great America thank you sir for your service

when younger I always ask vets to tell me ther stories ( if they wanted too some did not want to visit the dark corner of the minds ) lot of good stories and tons of sad ones

I Wach interviews on you tube where they seek out our older vets and talk about there time , amazing what most of them delt with at 18 to 20 years old . some show there bring back trophy's some neat items also they were able to get home and still have

• Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

RIP.God Bless.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly ,none of that ww2 vets that I knew of growing up are still alive . In fact of my parents generation , I know of only three survivors ,all widows .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭✭

When my Aunt Barbara was in the Army, she was assigned to a Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio. She was trained as a nurse, and did that for a time. One day she brought in a painting she had done and gave it to a soldier. Everyone that saw the painting was amazed at her talent. The hospital administrator saw it and came up with an idea to put her talent to better use.

Several times a week soldiers would come in with eye injuries that would cause them to lose the eye. So my Aunt was assigned to sit with the soldier and paint an exact duplicate of his good eye on a glass blank. After she died Dad wound up with the glass eyes that were extras from the soldiers that didn't survive their wounds.

After my Daughter graduated from Ohio State Optometry School, Dad gave her the collection, and she has them on display in her office.

Aunt Barbara was always my favorite Aunt, she was a real sweetheart.

Joe

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭✭

When I was growing up,almost everyone I knew had a dad that was a WW2 vet.My dad was Navy in the Pacific,most dads were Army and a few were Marines.I was thinking after I was an adult that most of the Marines that were in the thick of it in the Pacific seemed to die earlier in life than most vets.The ones I knew were gone by their late 50s.I dont know if it was the stress of what they had been through or it was coincident with the Marines I knew.