In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Electric vehicle theory question

chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭✭

Why don't car engineers incorporate some kind of small wind driven generator on them to charge while driving and extend range. Obviously the around-town owner wouldn't benefit, but the highway driving distance driver would at 60-70mph.

The German rocket powered Messerschmitt ME-163 had no way to power accessories, so the krauts put a small Seppeler propeller on the front that drove a 2000 Watt 24 Volt generator to charge a 20 Amp storage battery. (I googled this..) The Seppeler propeller had some kind of spring clutch device to control over spinning at 500 mph. Obviously, that kind of speed isn't relevant.

It would look kind of goofy, but why not a couple of small, streamlined nacelles with small 15" propellers turning generators that would supply a re-charge to the vehicle power cell?

Disclaimer: I am a dinosaur that still loves gas powered V-8 big blocks, four barrel carburetors, and dual exhausts. I lament the passing of an era.

Comments