In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Inflationary miser cheapness

mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

I have been know to put grease on two Penny's and still make them squeak,🤔 use a small hole saw to cut metal blanks for a gumball machine,when as a kid ,remember the upright pop machine you pulled the bottle toward you we carryed cups and popped them with a church key👹

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,379 ******

I'd say you are just a FRUGAL guy mac. We will all find ourselves doing our best to save a buck pretty soon. If not already!

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******

Yes, I thought my retirement savings were enough to see me out , but now I have doubts. Oh, well, I've been poor before.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭✭

^^^^Amen to that^^^^

But is disheartening to be just as poor as I was 20 years ago, since I'm making 5.5 times what I made back then!

Just when you think that you have it all figured out.......wham there comes the libs to mess it all up! SMDH

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

Filled the truck up today and commented to the clerk that I remember when I paid $4.00 less per gallon, he replied he remembered when he paid $6 less for a package of cigarettes!

• Options
    tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

I was once called by a gas station attendant for "snaking" the hose.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭

I tell everyone I was born, and grew up poor so dying poor will not be much of a change

Speaking of I had lot of what. Could be called frugal ...lol... buddies or common theifs if you like. when younger they always carried a 3 or 4 foot gas credcard in the trunk of ther cars

But as I recall bowling allys and skate rings were the places that accepted ther cc the most .

As for me like alot of you I had to make the best of what I had taking care and repairing as much as possible replacing was the very last option and still holds true today .

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

Showed my daughter my $70.00 receipt I got for topping off my tank (3/4 of a tank). Told her I was spending her inheritance, one tank at a time! 🤑

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

it hit 4.60 here yesterday

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭

I remember paying $.19 gal. for regular gas and $.25 for a pack of cigarettes. Yes, I'm that old.

Joe

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

This keeps up ..and I am going to buy a gas station. There will be discounts for members.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

am I the only one who sees the actions as theft and not miserly cheapness??????

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

When minimum wages increase, cost of goods will do so disproportionally. Its the trickle up, down and around effect. The only way companies stay solvent when having to pay their employees a higher wage is to increase prices. I know I'm preaching to the choir here. I live in rural Missouri, just about as far as you can get from either coast so gasoline prices are hovering in the $4 </> range.

Filled my truck for $124. My car which is supposed to only use 91 octane and with just 11 gallon tank it should be not so bad on the wallet. Alas, with about 1/3 of a tank remaining at fill up the other day it was almost $50. I do as much as I can with the car to include getting animal feed. I can fit two 50 lbs bags in the trunk and put a 50 lbs bag in the seat. I get strange looks at the feed store when I pull up, but every dollar counts.

I save my bacon grease, feed the animals healthy scraps or the scraps become compost, save bread ties, reuse/repurpose everything under the sun. I may be a "hoarder" but if you need it, I probably have one here somewhere, 😊.