In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Freezer moving suggestions...

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Need to move a full upright freezer from Oregon to Montana soon and the trip duration will be about 10-11 hours. Everything says that closing it up tight and sealing it will be fine, but my thoughts are that since I have a short, 90 mile section of bumpy interstate from the winter weather, would that cause damage to the inside of the freezer (shelf breakage) where the shelves go into the plastic sides, with the frozen items slightly bouncing up and down. I can do the coolers w/dry ice, but most say it would be fine to leave it all inside. Any experience would be appreciated, TIA.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I moved mine from La Grande fully loaded and didn't have any problems. It was about a 9 hour drive in the 26' U-Haul over many of the same roads you'll be on. This was in August and all the food was still frozen solid when we arrived and there was no damage to the freezer. We loaded it onto the truck clear at the back the evening before we left and kept the cord dangling out so we could plug it in overnight. Simply unplug in the morning, make your escape, and plug it back in when you arrive.

Can you route around the bad spots in the road without adding hours to your trip?

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

'Empty it out ,pack food in coolers . Transport it upright. Do not lay it down .'

^^^DITTO^^^

I'd virtually guarantee you'll break the shelves moving the freezer loaded. When you get to the destination, all the stuff inside will be in a jumble at the bottom. If you want to put 2-3# of dry ice in the bottom to keep the interior cool during the trip, that would be fine.

Just my opinion.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

If room allows shore-up the shelves with 2x4's upright cut to length.....it worked for a friend moving to the lake, 90 miles of rough roads.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭

I would empty it to make sure the shelves didn't break! If you do HAVE to lay it down......make sure to turn it off and plug it in for 24 hours. That will let the compressor heater come on and get the oil back where it should be!

Upright and empty would be the best/safesty way

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,331 ******

I think success transporting it full depends a lot on how heavily you have loaded the shelves.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭

"A short, 90 mile section of bumpy interstate"? I agree with clearing the shelves before bouncing this much. Can you put all the items on the floor level? With no weight on the shelves, they should be OK.