In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The special needs guy at Home Depot....."helped" me....sweet, but a little frustrating.

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭

I had to go by Home Depot to buy rolls of paper for our shipping. I pick up as many as I can get in a buggy. I had 29 rolls. There were NO lanes open with a person to check you out. So, to the self checkout I went. After booping one roll 29 times, before I can get to the screen to punch the word "pay" an employee walks up and says...."let me show you a trick".....then proceeds to cancel my checkout and asks me how many rolls I had. He then pushes his employee number into the screen and rings it up by putting the number of rolls in and then booping one of the rolls. He is obviously handicapped in some way and doesn't realize he is showing me something I could never do....because I don't have an employee number....AND he has no clue I was pretty much done when he chimed in. Before it was all done he was telling me about a boat and some plans for this boat. I was happy to have the visit, the guy was sweet and all....but the fact that there were NO people working other than this guy who was making a 10 minute transaction a 45 minute ordeal was pretty frustrating. I think I could have actually just walked out with the paper altogether and nobody would have known.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

...At the point I was ready, had, to leave, I would have told him..."thanks a lot, have a great day, Ive got to run"..

...I do all I can not to be rude to someone, to placate people , but when Im done and need to go, I'm done, I leave...life is way too short...

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm...where's Owles when you need him?

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭

I understand your inconvenience BUT kudos to him for actually working and NOT drawing a govt check like everyone else!

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭

You probably made his day! It doesn't surprise me you spent a few moments making someone happy. Bob

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Consider yourself lucky. Most employees of big box stores seem to disappear when you enter the store.

When you do find help the have no clue about what you ask for, "not their department"

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Wondering if he ever worked for a govt agency

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,351 ******

My go to place is Menards. I have to drive 60 miles round trip to get there and back but I have found it worth all the trouble. I get lots of help from workers who know their departments well.

I pass 2 Home Depots on my way there also.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******

Bless you for being patient.

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Bless you for listening to the guy. There is the other side of the coin. One of my sons worked at HD for s period of time.

Pluming department. Customer asked him, What can you tell me about toilets. Reply, well, I have used one most of my life.

• Options
    bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

I've noticed sin extraction at BIG BOX stores.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I like the rolls I get from Uline. 24" wide by 900' long. This is good heavy brown paper. I am sure I pay more but I hate shopping.

• Options

We had it delivered one time from Home Depot by buying it online. They no longer have that option. I buy so much of this stuff that a few dollars per roll really adds up. I go through about 6 rolls per week at the least. I have the 29 rolls that I picked up stacked on my back porch waiting on the teenager I pay to help out one or two days a week to come and help get it inside. After getting it loaded onto a buggy....put in the car....put on the porch.....I've handled this mess all I care to.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭

Expensive hobby!

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

nice of you

I never ask for help and always tell any one no thanks if they ask

no not like this 😲 I am polite

• Options
    bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

HD has a parking lot full of job seekers. my license plate was pixed when i drove off not hiring.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭

I have spent over a hundred thousand dollars at Lowes and Home Depot. I have found that the "helpers" at these stores are about as good as a coin toss. Half the time, the answer they give you is correct. The other half of the time what they say is complete bs. I quit asking questions at Home Depot long ago.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭✭

When HD first opened, they hired older tradesmen who were tired of working in the field. They knew their business & were happy to work inside. Last time at a Lowes, some guy fresh off a boat tried to help me. Other then showing me where the items were, he had no clue. Yet, he tried to tell me what he didn't know. The clerk at the register was even worse & her "stupidvisor" was, .......

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

Our lowes has very minimum competetion. Two hardware stores and wallfart .There are a couple of specialty lumber,plumbing and electrical supply house, but they concentrate on commercial trade but are open to all. The store apparently always shows a profit but forget about finding someone with any knowledge. Good thing I am competent in all the trades . No need to complain to the manager ,they don't care .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

You found someone at Walmart with customer service. Amazing.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    edited May 2022

many years ago I was in a Lowes in the plumbing section a nice young fellow ask can I help you whats your project

I said thanks I got it so he walked away 2 minutes later are you sure I cant help you .. no I am piecing together a project and sorting out the couplers and valves I need thanks any way . about two more minutes he circled back 🤨

this time he actually ask don't you like me ?did I say something wrong? why wont you let me help you ? ( I was taken back but was polite and it was hard to not say (*&^% off ) ) but I did say no you did nothing wrong thanks for offering your help . I just do not need or want it . nothing personal I just never ask for help . he shook his head like he understood said OK and walked away .... maybe to a safe room to cry I am not sure

• Options

I'm betting he was a special needs person....like the guy I was dealing with. There are a lot of companies hiring these people to do whatever they possibly can, which is great. I'm all for hiring handicapped people whenever its at all possible......BUT there needs to be a fully qualified person here and there if you actually need "help" and not just a feel good moment that makes whatever task you are doing take forever.

• Options

one of our local Walmarts has a gal she has been there at least 20 + years her name is Yevette she is a door greeter and receipt checker on the way out . she may do other jobs I dont know

she nice as can be and easy to see she has a few issues a bit hard to understand especially some one like me with bad hearing but, honest she is at least working and does a good job for them .

I am fine with any one trying to make a living and actually working ,