In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mount St. Helens Day Today

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,430 ***** Forums Admin

May 18, 1980......Hard to believe it's been 42 years. Time sure has marched on. I guess I'm old now. 57 people perished in that blast. About ten years ago I became acquainted with a fella who lost a brother in that eruption. He was a timber faller, and was down there doing what timber fallers do. They found his pickup, but never any sign or him. Merlinnv12 flew his airplane over the mountain and took some pictures. Maybe he'll post them up again.

Here is a video of the eruption: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fArB5Jz2wos

Here is a picture my wife took when she was a child. We have determined that this must be the second eruption which occurred a week after the first and major eruption.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently become fascinated with a YouTube channel called GeologyHub which discusses volcanoes, impact craters and many other items of geologic interest. His current weekly report says there are now 51 erupting volcanoes on the planet, with a couple more ready to blow. Some of them potentially huge and dangerous.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭

Here ya go, HPD!

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭

I was three months old when it popped. A cousin of mine, who made his living as a volcanologist, spent a lot of time on St. Helens. As I understand it, he worked alongside David Johnston often, and was one of the last people to see him alive.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭

Living in Rapid City SD during the time. Westerly winds brought the ash. Visibility at times was less than a mile. Aircraft would not fly as well for a time. Could not imagine how it would be when Krakatoa erupted over 200 years ago. Geologists said Krakatoa was close to 500 times greater.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

It was such a huge event for the local people. I think we are still seeing the effects of it.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭

It was a dark day for Washington State.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    RustyjackRustyjack Member Posts: 59 ✭✭

I was there (on an extended road trip) for a subsequent eruption about two weeks later. Sat on an adjacent mountaintop looking at the crater for two days hoping to see some activity. Gave up and headed out and about 30 minutes later it blew a second time. Turned around and headed back to see the ash clouds. Quite a sight, like somebody emptied burned out charcoal barbeque over everything several inches deep. I still have a bag of ash I saved as a souviner.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,627 ✭✭✭✭

I remember it well and not imagine being close by knowing your life is about to end

I recall one interview with a older fellow refused to leave his home and well he never has may they all RIP

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

I was offered a job in White River in 1979, did not feel right about it. Accepted one in Wyoming instead.

Glad that I did, would have been living in the area of destruction .

Garden planted, snow this morning.