In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Torpedo Trident ID ???

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen that hood ornament before, but don't remember the make ... maybe Ford

Any clue on car ID ?

I actually like this 1950's car ... something that does not occur often !

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

1950's Oldsmobile.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

1955 Oldsmobile, no question. Super 88 I think.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭

Classy chassis!

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,047 ✭✭✭✭

Check out the front license plate.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,164 ✭✭✭✭

I always thought it was a jet.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭

All I know is that even if she leaned on the car all of the car shows I have been at the owner would have a fit.

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭✭

She could lean on my car anytime !

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭

Good Lord, I'm getting old. I didn't even see the woman until SW0320 mentioned it. I love old cars more I guess. 😲

Joe

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Bubba, there are Oldsmobile fans and there are Old Smobile fans. We probably fall into the latter group.

My Dad was a GM guy. I think at one time or another we owned at least one of each: Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac. I liked the Olds the best simply because of the "Rocket 88" name. The Big Five is now down to three, more's the pity.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭

My Dad was a Chrysler man until he bought his first Mercedes. Then he thought he had to step up to a Bentley. His last 2 cars were made by Lexus. One of the reasons us kids didn't have any money.

Joe

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭✭

My first car was a 1962 super 88 olds ,4 door. 394 cid with a 4 barrel, 345 hp high compression rocket engine . 10 miles to the gallon IF you behaved .How many 16 year old teenagers knew how to behave ?

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭

I had a '61 Pontiac Catalina in high school. A 302 automatic with a two-barrel, IIRC. Not a drag racer, but I did get it to 110 mph. It was a good thing that gas was 30 cents a gallon.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭

My late dad was an Olds guy. Having an Olds dealership 2 doors from his store might have had something to do with it. He had a '47, '49, '53, '57, '68, & '69. I had two when I was in high school - '54 & '57. Both were 2 doors but the '57 was a J-2 (tri carb) w/ the dealer installed Isky solid cam, and was a stick shift. The weak part of the solid cam was the McGurk adjustable rockers. They would break at hi RPM. I put in a floor shift LaSalle tranny (bolt in) but getting off the line was a problem w/ the 2.15 low gear. Those were the days.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

when i was 16 (1966) i bought a 1958 Olds 98 for a $100.00. it was sitting in an old garage up the hollow a ways. the older guy that had ought it new had died. it had been sitting there several years.. the car was loaded with options, air ride suspension, J-2 engine with 3 2bbl carbs, had a removeable radio so you could remove it from the dash so that it wouldnt get stolen and several other things i cant remember. put a battery in it, and this is where i went wrong, i took the battery out of my dads Olds, poured some gas in it and drove it home. i got to keep it for one day until my dad got home from work and made me take it back. sure was a nice ride for a day though.

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

A little trivia: the tri-carb setup was originally referred to as JATO (Jet Engine Take Off), subsequently shortened to J-2. My first car was a '51 Olds 98 convertible, bought in '58 with a worn out engine & very rusty body. Drove it thru my senior year ('59) & then found a '53 Willys Aero Ace which used about half as much fuel.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭

A little more trivia yonson, that '57 wouldn't go around 65mph (I forget the exact number) because the front and rear carbs were vacuum operated and either open or shut. OK at 60 but next was 70 +/-. Mine were usually open!

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

but you could replace with progressive mechanical linkage.