In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jury Duty

2»

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭

Hi again, Susie. I have served on three juries. All were complex criminal cases. Sadly, my experience was that the majority of people selected as jurors had no business being there. Personal bias, agenda and focus on the immaterial and superfluous muddled deliberation and often overrode probative weight of the evidence.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭

I did serve on 1 criminal cased, armed robbery, we found the defendant not guilty. The defense produced a witness who told us that Mr,XXX was in his office applying for a job when the crime was occurring. The witness had absolutely no reason to lie, and had his log book with him showing the time of the appointment. Prosecutor relied on a witness who couldn't ID the man in the courtroom!

Served on a federal lawsuit case when a bondsman had the wrong person, who had a similar name as his cousin, arrested trying to get a family member's location revealed. The bondsman lost $50K in punitive damages plus legal fees.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,641 ✭✭✭✭

I used to get notice every five years or so. I worked in the County Judicial Center, so I would tell the clerk to call me when it was time to be taken down to the court room for Voir dire process. At that time, the judge would always dismiss me before any questioning as in most cases I was involved in some part of the process that brought the individual into court.

The county would send me my money and mileage and I would turn it back in as required !