In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rem. 700 CDL scope base question

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

im trying to put scope bases on this rifle. i using Burris xtreme tactical steel bases, these came with two different length screws. i would like to know which length screw goes in which hole. i read the instructions and they do not address this. also looking down into the very front scope base hole in the receiver i can see what looks like a slotted screw filler plug in the bottom of this hole. both the long or the short burris screw will go in this hole and tighten. should i leave this plug in the hole, i tried to turn it out but it doesnt seem to want to turn. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Hint - If you use the long screws in the wrong place, the bolt will bind on the screw sticking down in the action. Don't ask how I found this out. Bob

Hint #2 One of the of the bases should be thinner and to get the same thread purchase you should use?

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Call Burris.

In the front base hole you are probably seeing a barrel thread.

Leave the bolt out of the gun when installing the screws.

Installing used stuff that you are not familiar with is a good way to mess up a good rifle.

What is the Burris part number of your bases? Burris will also ask you this question/

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Just stick the screws through the bases off of the rifle and you will see which screws go where. The short screws will most likely just barely go through the wrong base and the long ones will go well past the base. The screws should have the same reveal on both bases, being long enough to hold them onto the receiver, but not long enough to bind the bolt.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,391 ***** Forums Admin

What Todd said.

• Options

found that the short screws are for the front. however im real sure that a plug screw has been driven to the bottom of the front hole. messed up two good screwdriver bits trying to get it to turn. it definitely has a screw slot made into it. it is deep enough in the hole for the scope base screw to fully tighten. think i will just leave it like that.

• Options

now on my third thought that could be a barrel thread im looking at. i will leave it alone.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Most likely a barrel thread, if it was a plug screw, I'd doubt that you'd be able to get the base screw tight enough to secure the base. Looks like you got to where you need to be, but don't over tighten the base, most bases only need 20-25 inch pounds of torque. If you decide to use some Loc-tite, don't use any more than blue.

• Options

Thanks all. i have put many scopes on and have a torque wrench but this just looked so clearly like the top of a hole plug i had convinced myself that was what it was. as for the different length screws it seems to me that Burris woould have mentioned them in their instructions. i did find the screw info on line though.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭

Long(er) screws go in the rear base. Fairly simple when you look at the bases--front one is thinner than rear one.