In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL needs drivers license

sgtchipe5sgtchipe5 Member Posts: 7

I've read lots of topics on the subject about FFLs needing a driver's license from unlicensed GB sellers. Something is still not clear to me. Would I be out of luck if the seller refuses to send his DL after the gun has already arrived at the FFL? What happens to the firearm? I'm still waiting to hear from the seller. He has great feedback history, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing. I just need some options as to what I can do if he refuses to comply or doesn't answer my emails.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

I prefer a legible photocopy of a picture ID. The number can be redacted, but I'd like to have the picture, name, and address. I record the name and address in my book and shred the photocopy.

• Options

Hi Nunn-- If you don't mind me picking your mind for a bit, what recourse do buyers have in this situation? I still hope to hear from the seller. I'm just testing the waters if this becomes a problem.

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Welcome to the forums @sgtchipe5 . Unless there’s more to the story, you’re looking for problems where none exist. Relax…it’ll sort itself out…and enjoy your new firearm.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

i want photo copy of current dL for book whats the problem

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

The ATF wants the lines in the book filled in. They don't know if you take the information from a state-issued ID card, or off the return address on the box. Safest option is to take it from the ID, but I have taken it from the box or bill of sale, when I was reasonably sure that was the seller's information.

One time, ever, I held onto the gun until the buyer had the seller send ID. The seller had taken the gun to a Pack & Postal or a UPS store and had them pack and ship it. The ONLY address on the box was that of the store that shipped it. That isn't acceptable.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Your only mistake was that you didn't ask for a copy of his photo ID before you sent the money. But, like the guys said, it will probably work out OK. I keep a photo of my DL on my computer, &, upon request, will send it to someone as an attachment to an email. Takes about 10 seconds.

If the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits ever knock on your door & ask about a specific transaction, all you will need to do is hand them the copy of his photo ID, & they will walk away. I hate prison food.

Neal

EDIT: I admit it, I'm paranoid; but, that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me. There are too many things that can go wrong when dealing with a remote transaction, & GB & forum members do our best to warn others. GB will warn you if a listing contains photos that duplicate those used by another seller, a great help. There are folks out there counterfeiting USPS money orders; the Postal Service website tells us how to identify a real MO. At the beginning of the General Discussion forum, there is a "sticky" describing ways to identify scams. I've learned a lot from the forums, just take the time to scan them & you will learn a lot.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Print a copy of the order from GB, that way you can get his name and address that HE submitted as correct, when he sold the gun.

• Options

Neal, I agree, that was a mistake, However, how was a GB nubie like myself to know to ask for an photo ID before sending the check. Is that written down anywhere as one of the steps. It seems like a pretty important point and should be included as part of the checkout process.