In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

people aren't very hard up

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

my struggling garden (no rain 4 weeks) is starting to produce a few things. i have two rows of green beans that need picked and eaten. picked all i could use and called four different people to come and get some and all turned me down. too lazy to pick beans i guess.

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

You could even pick them and put them on the neighbors.

10 to one says they will still be there days later.

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭

If you’re close to Seattle, I’ll be there tomorrow and take my share. Love garden-grown anything, esp. this time of the year when the crops are just starting to produce.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭

when I was just a young fellow about 3 blocks from our house was a empty lot maybe 4 or 5 acers in town next to some foundry's ,and the really low rent block housing that no one would even live in today ( our place was maybe one step above that ) my parents and others in the area would rent space the fellow would plow it up and section it off I seem to recall 8 dollars maybe 15 dollars for the season depending on the lot size . now we lived in the poor section of town , did not get much poorer , any way I am guessing some respect was at least in play I never remember any one "stealing any garden produce or even hearing about it . today kids may not steal it but odds are they would trash it

one more short story my wife ( mostly my wife has always grown a garden at our house and we would share with any one her mom came up one green bean harvesting time as she canned we did not think about it she took several grocery bags full then came back after the third time my wife ask what are you doing with so many beans ..

she responded well honey all my neighbors and cousin xx and cousin zzz and cousin g all want some so I have been giving them away ,, now being southern sharing is just common and my wife is all for it but my wife said oh no not any more they can plant take care of the garden as well as I can 😲 and your picking them for them 😮who would not want free fresh green beans .. I think her mom got upset but did come around to seeing my wifes point

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to give you some of my rain varian. I'm about 30 miles west of Indy and it's so wet that I can't even till. I've planted as late as early June but this rain better stop or I won't have anything this year.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a farmer but the rain has me concerned. We just ordered four tons of popcorn seed for our concession. I am really concerned about late planting for rain, smaller crop and increase in prices for fertilizer.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭

HMMM, green beans mostly still in the package in the midwest. 40* this morning in north MO.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Yep, lots of them NON HARD UP people now days think Green Beans grows on trees, same as the free money they receive.

As a teenager I picked beans and peas when out of school in summertime and my hunting/fishing pea picking buddy and I bought our own guns, fishing rods and knifes. (and showed them to our teachers at school)

We would be labeled as terrorists now days.

Really a shame how things have went upside down now days and getting worse every day.

Pea/Bean Pickers are a dying breed.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

They most likely wanted you to pick them and deliver..

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I remember as a little kid in Amarillo, TX.............my mom used to take us to a farm where we picked beans. I think there was a price per bushel that you picked yourself......then she would can them.

We also had grape vines on the whole fence in our backyard and my mom made and canned TONS of grape jelly every year.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

It's like they all want firewood. IF you cut it, split it, deliver it & stack it. I then ask for a key to their house so I can stop by & feed their stove.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

We always had a garden and grew most of our produce.When I was a kid we lived in housing owned by the textile company where my dad worked,commonly called a mill hill.The company had a crew of older black guys that kept up the property,cut grass,bush hogged or whatever needed to be done.They would stop for lunch where ever they were working and we would set around and talk with them.My mom would always send them a big jug of ice water.One of them owned a small farm and loved to hunt and we would talk hunting,guns,fishing etc.When his crops came in,every morning there would be a basket of beans,corn,cucumbers on our front porch.With 7 of us it always went to good use.