In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SOCOM has chosen Sig Sauer

claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

After years of searching, United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM) has picked Sig Sauer for its next point defense weapon for troops. SOCOM released a notice of intent to award a five-year fixed firm price contract to the arms manufacturer. The new personal defense weapon of choice for special operations forces? The Sig Sauer MCX "Rattler," which can be chambered in both .300 Blackout and 5.56mm calibers. 

“After years of continuous market research, USSOCOM HQ has concluded that Sig Sauer is the only vendor that can fulfill USSOCOM’s need for the Commercial PDW requirement. USSOCOM HQ has been researching and reviewing different systems since 2017,” the notice of intent said. “We have meticulously reviewed each system for technical acceptance and whether it fits the commercial definition. Except for Sig Sauer, the vendors did not meet the technical requirements and/or the weapons do not meet the commercial definition.”

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭

Times have changed. Used to be such selections were made from a field of qualified entrants. When it is that there is only one qualified entrant, I think either the acceptance criteria were unrealistic or someone at SOCOM HQ now has a numbered bank account in the Caymans. Sorry, that it took "years of searching" to find an acceptable "point defense weapon" (whatever that is) is to me further evidence of an evolving boutique military. Perhaps Ferragamo will be awarded a like contract to design a new "point defense combat boot" to complement a new Kiton "point defense camo pattern" field uniform.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

DWS!

a celebrity appearance!

hope all is well.

I believe a point defense weapon is just like your other favorite term, “assault rifle” only shorter.

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! I believe you're right, Warbirds. I'm hoping to 3-D print a SIG-556 so I can have a ghost assault rifle.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

Am I the only person that thinks perhaps it is unwise to have your military equipment manufactured in another country??

I agree with danceswithsheep. Since everyone in Washington is on the take why would we expect that the military is an exception??

In my honest opinion I could design a better rifle than what they have came up with by consulting with 15 to 20 GB members and we could have it designed easily in 90 days or less. With no money under the table or any other type of corruption.

I might seriously weaken if they sent an Angelina Jolie in her Tomb Raider days look alike to try and attempt to influence my thinking!! 😁

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭

more than likely they might send the tomb keeper, nancelina pelosi..........

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

Now that is a true nightmare!!! Lord have mercy!! Can you imagine being Nancy's hubby and giving Nancy a wet sloppy night night kiss. OMG!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

dreher  - Another American job lost. You'd think biden would try to create a job. Also after 20 years of the military clusterbust at least you would think America has perfected the boomstick by now.

Pass on Angelina. Too much baby mama drama. Now had they sent Deborah Ann Woll I'd okay a pea shooter. Military be damned.