In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Prices Coming Down?

scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭

I'm finding many more firearms where the high bid is something I'm willing to entertain. Are gun prices actually receding a bit? If it's real, I'm not surprised - especially on common items - discretionary $ for so many of us is going into the gas tank, the grocery bill, or the rent payment and not the gun safe.

Comments

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

local gun show this weekend had a lot of lower quality, condition guns still at very high prices. but like i say that is local. also a lot of ammo available at astronomical prices.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭

I kind of study the prices here and it sure seems like a dip is in. Counting the higher shipping, taxes that the states steal and FFL fees it all adds up imo to become a buyers market. Of course some of the higher end items still bring the money but not all as it used to be. Fuel prices, food prices, taxes and all has taken more money out of my wallet to spend. No scientific study but as good as a 10 million study by the government on why ants climb uphill as good as they go downhill.

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭

I hope you are right. Hard to believe that anyone would use a $3500 Python or $10,000 pre-ban AUG for purpose intended. As for ammo prices, hard to believe that anyone now would go through a case of .223 or .308 in a single weekend outing, as was not all that uncommon (at least for my shooing friends and I) even ten years ago. The prices of quality and pre-ban guns have in the main relegated them to other than practical use. Put another way, these guns now belong to collectors and investors, or to shooters who no longer shoot them (i.e., de facto collectors and investors). In effect, gun and ammo prices have become a very effective form of gun control. Years ago, BigDaddyJunior sold me a PolyTech Legend for $800. I would never sell it, nor would I ever shoot it. It remains as something real out of a memory from happier days long ago.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,687 ✭✭✭✭

The prices aren't changing all that much right now...but the wholesale market is getting a lot more product in stock, so the current production items are no longer going to be selling for more than suggested retail online like they have. The collectors market is still strong....lever guns are at an all time high and even hunting rifles are selling strong which is surprising because they've always dipped way down during the summer months.

We've got a lot of talk about guns in the media right now, so everyone is expecting there to be some push for new nonsense. Its tense, even with the slow down.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭

It was common/current production items that seemed to be ending lower and having fewer bidders/bidding wars while collector items remained strong. I figured it was saturation and Bidenflation. Hadn't fully considered that the supply side had caught up and premiums evaporated. Thanks Kasey @Locust Fork for insight from the tip of the retail spear.

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

Haven’t seen any dip in price or quantity locally in several years. I still think we’re a few years away from anything resembling normal. I haven’t bought .357SIG in several years. I’m not paying $60 for a box of 50 of that. 9mm and .40 are sometimes cheap enough. We won’t see anything better until the dunderhead in chief is replaced.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,673 ******

I attended a gun show this past weekend. There were several vendors selling ammo but nobody was buying. $20 for a box of 20 Wolf steel 7.62x39? I think not.

New AR 15's priced at $579.

Canik TP9 for $429. I paid $349 for mine.