In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

almost got me a deer yesterday.......

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭

with the push mower!!! was out mowing our family cemetery and my last chore is to take a lap or two around the outside witht he pushmower. I hadn't done it this year so it was over knee high, and I had to hold the front of the mower up and let it drop on the weeds and briars. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something odd under the mower and pulled it back instead of letting it down, and a fawn stood up and staggered off. I tried to see if I had got her with the blade but she went into some thick briars and I had to weave around the open woods to get a look in the thick stuff at her. she was standing there with her head down, just a wobbling. I couldn't see any blood, and moved a few weeds out of the way to see her feet and all looked good.

A doubt she was more than day or two old, as she had only gone about 10ft and was worn out, and probubly scared half to death having a mower blade a few inches from her head!! I backed off and let the wife take a few pictures as she layed back down and stared at us. the more I thought about it the more I was thankfull I hadn't hit her, I could just imagine the mess and the sight it would have left. guess it is true about god watching out over all creature big and small........

Comments

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭

Good for you to leave it be too. Some people think they HAVE to take the baby deer with them. Mama will be back very shortly and take care of the baby.

Good job!

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

A good story with a good ending.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭

where are the pictures?

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭

I am so glad for you that you saw it. I ain’t a psychiatrist, but I reckon mowing a fawn would be one of those memories that sticks with you for a while.

I mowed a box turtle one time that was hidden in some tall grass, and it was a horror show. My girls still shame me for it to this day.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

Have hit a few bunny nests over the years and when it happens I feel like crap for quite a while!

Glad you missed that fawn hillbillie. Ever since I first watched that Bambi cartoon, seeing those darn spots on a deer's fur coat always make me warm and fuzzy inside!