In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hurricane season

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

that time of year again. NOAA says higher than normal (whatever that is anymore) for this year, 14-21 named storms, 6-10 hurricanes. also the loop current in the gulf is much further north than normal bringing in extra warm water and extra energy. guess i wont have to worry about generator gas for this year, there probably wont be any. i know, ill just stand in the yard with my arms out and become my own wind mill i should be able to produce enough green energy for everyone.

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Already? Damn global warming.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

Hurricane season has started on 1 June for decades.

One would think that the existential threat of manmade climate destruction would have advanced it to May at some point in the past century.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

NOAA and the Weather channel try their best to keep everyone as scared as they can. They learned this from CNN where there is a crisis everyday.

I remember one year they were predicting all kinds of storms and there were none. Now every time it rains they name the storm so they can have "named" storms for the records.

Here is the criteria for a named storm:

Tropical storms get a name when they display a rotating circulation pattern and wind speeds reach 39 miles per hour (63 kilometers per hour). A tropical storm develops into a hurricane when wind speeds go above 74 mph (119 kph).

Now they name snow storms and anything else they can.

RLTW

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭

I have lived in hurricane country nearly my entire life and yes the weather nerds get a woody every time there is an "event" but after going through every hurricane in Florida for the last 65 years, I can tell you that it's not possible to be over prepared.

So I'd rather hear them droning on and on about the "possibility" of an impact rather than to hear crickets and get caught unprepared. You have to remember that these weather events cannot be predicted with absolute certainty so the meteorologist are standing on the side of safety and preparedness (as well as their opportunity for their 15 minutes of camera time).

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully none will take out any oil rigs. Gas will then skyrocket .

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i agree with bullshot. no such thing as being overprepared. i use the NOAA tracking, and strength perdictions but depend on the local guys for their experience and local knowledge. used to be a guy in New Orleans by the name of Nash Roberts, no matter what anyone else said everyone listened to what Nash said. he was extremely good at predicting what a storm was going to do. what you cant depend on is those weather readers on the t.v. all they know is how to read and look good.

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

At least with a hurricane there is nearly a week of warning. With tornadoes they can literally form in the front yard in the blink of an eye.

I pay attention when a tornado watch is issued. This is about the only head's up that you get with them. And still, one can form without a watch being issued.