In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gained a new democrat

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭

we have a few skunks and 13 cats 3 dogs about 20 assorted chickens ducks and so on that are on the welfare list well the chickens do provide eggs as partial payment

well a democrat showed up a few nights ago looking for a free ride as in housing , food , and so onit even looks the part with its black mask .. Ok its a stray younger racoon been sharing the cat food with the cats and skunks wife says NO but we will see may life trap it not sure if male or female wife does not allow any Femals to be dispatched r hauled off "they have young ones " 🤐

we have met face to face a few times up close so far couple times in the feed shed and at cat food bowls its young so no aggression or real fear shown but still not trusting and that OK . I have a big heart but stll hold to the SSS practice

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

it will bring more liberal friends to meet you

• Options

We had just under a dozen or skunks for a few years they kept the other bums away yet never caused any problems actually made buddies with the cats and got use to me messing with them never sprayed any of us or the cats .

Many years ago 35 or more We had a pet racoon hung around and itsbuddies wife would feed them marshmellows if we were late they would knock on the door lol

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Are you going to bus it to DC?

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

A few years ago, I had a neighbor who raised a r.a.c.c.o.o.n. from a pup and kept it around for a pet. Only problem was when it grew up, it failed to recognize property borders and that darn critter hit on my chicken coop on a nightly basis!

I live trapped him and took it to a very nice wilderness spot by a river some 12 miles away.

• Options
    edited May 2022

the bandit we had was fun to watch and he loved to play and stayed out side in the hollow trees old maple trees when I would come from work he would run down out of one of trees across the yard climb up my leg wanting to play in the house he would act like a dog or cat running and getting into every thing . he liked to play rough with me but was gentle with my wife and then very young son he seemed to know not hurt them . then one he bit my wife on the hand nothing bad but did draw a little blood playing to rough I am guessing, she said he has to go I dont trust him to not bite our son .. so I had to follow orders . and he was gone 🤐

we have some racoons migrate thru over the years I live trap them move them on never had a problem then one found his way back this was several years ago about two days after I hauled him off he came back I caught him having a chicken dinner in the chicken coop .. and it was his last . that was pre all th ecats so no cat food supply for them to steal we have a crap load of cats now (13😲 ) so cat food is always out so all the free loaders just eat cat food my guess its easier to catch and always there so they leave the chickens alone we do loose a few eggs to the thief's but not a big deal

the yotes seem to stay away they come in close but have never bothered the chickens or cats . I think the skunks and dog smell keep they away ?

I am glad we do not live in black bear area heaven knows my wife would try and make a buddy with one 😲

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I keep all my cats, dogs vaccinated. Trying to protect my pets from animals that are not vaccinated is costly.

Also noticed that if a unwelcome visiting animal finds easy free food they will usually return in a timely manner.

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭

good .22 short takes care of that problem , over the years we've lost too many baby critters to big old MaMa c o o ns to put up with them hanging around , now i keep a old 22 in the garage loaded with shorts

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******

22 LR does OK also... I relocated one in the last 20 years only because it got into a dog carrier that was in the barn and i had been using it as a place to put the barn cats food to keep it up off the ground (carrier was on a bench) anyway one evening a bandit was in it and I closed the door and caught it alive so in to the truck bed it went and a few miles away I released one mad critter! Usually though they end up as buzzard food for messing with my chicken coop.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, they are cute, yes, they are adorable. I detest them. They destroyed 120 hills of sweet corn in one night- looked like a truck had run thru the garden. We have a small orchard- apples and pears. They will pull every single fruit off the tree- take one bite, toss it on the ground. Average of about TEN bushels per tree.

Disposed of 16 of the bandits in one season. If we had chickens, would have even less patience than I do.

• Options

I was just out in the yard just about dusk . me and the bandit crossed paths he ran off fast as soon as he spotted me on other side of pole barn one of the skunks also out strolling it also headed for cover

I do have one recent free loader I am looking for, a groundhog has moved in I have see it twice neither time I had any thing but a rock and I my rock chunking days are long gone going to start taking my 22 out early and late evening looking for him and well if rocky the bandit happens along well practice

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

Claim as a dependent (deduction), register the critter to vote .... whine as loud as possible for "Government cheese" ... 😆🤣

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books