In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Great way to start the day

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭

Got a Filly colt at 03:10 MST.

Wife drew short straw for 03:00 check and found mare down and pushing the head out, foal hip locked a little and my Bride lended a little assistance and got this little filly into the world, I got to see her just a few minutes later.

I’ll post another picture after it gets light, but she’s up and working her way to her first suck.

Mule

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin

The miracle of nature has given you a gift. She'll grow into a big fine mare I'm sure.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,979 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.. That is very C😎😎L!

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

That is cool. I saw a Giraffe give birth in Kenya one time it was really neat.

RLTW

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******

Beautiful. Congrats.

• Options

This is the second foal my Bride has helped with this month, a few weeks ago, just before sunrise, she noticed a neighbor’s gelding pawing a mare lying down and spied a sack protruding. She crawled through a fence, getting lit up by a hot wire in the process, ran across the pasture a with the help of a few rocks, drove the gelding off and the mare promptly deposited a colt between her feet. I showed up shortly after and proceeded to further encourage the gelding with a few more rocks to the ribs to get him to keep his distance before the owners could get there with a halter to take him away.

They had no clue that a gelding will kill a newborn foal. Something I guess left in their brain from when they still had their stones.

We get the occasional interesting mornings around here.

Sam06, that giraffe birth would have been a real treat to witness.

Mule

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭

It sounds like it was an early start, DP, and definitely a great start.

Got a name?

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

It was @dpmule She just stood there and out it popped all the way to the ground. It was up and walking in an hour. Unfortunately it got eaten by hyenas or wild dogs a few days later when we found it. This was on a game ranch/conservancy I was working anti poaching on in Kenya in 2008.

RLTW

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
  • Options

But unfortunately didn’t work out, foal died on Monday at 5 days.

A guy we know lost a mare with newborn foal the same day and we are currently trying to graft his foal to our wet mare.

Mule

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭

Damn, DP. Sorry to hear that. Any idea what happened?

Good luck with the adoption.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,359 ******

Dang sorry to hear this, i hope your are successful in the nurse maid deal.