In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

can a landline get hacked??????

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

just got a call from a fellow who claimed I had just called him twice. I don't own a cell phone, I have a landline here at the house and it is only me and the dog, and unless he has learned a few new tricks no one called the guy. He said he had two missed calls and just hit redial, so can someone use my landline without me knowing??????

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

I think they can 'spoof' the number, just like any other phone number.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

I get scam calls all the time the scammer spoofs other numbers I just have all the fun I can till they cuss me they call from India they are such DF's😂

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin

What Neo and mac said. We get calls frequently from "local" numbers. If we don't recognize the number we let it go to voice main. If someone leaves a legit message we call them right back.

• Options

so in other words, someone hacked the caller ID system and used my phone # instead of their own.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,359 ******

It is called spoofing as mentioned above, they don't "hack" the caller ID system, they just have programs/software to present whatever phone number they want instead of the "real" number they are using, it may be just randomly generated depending upon how it is setup.

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭
    • ^^^This^^^
    • No risk to you based on your scenario (unless he's lying and trying to build rapport with intent to somehow scam you). IMO, the fellow who called you should be more careful... there's scant good reason to answer/return calls from numbers you don't recognize. Let it go to voice mail then evaluate.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭

I had my cell phone number call me once, on my number so anything is possible. Piggyback is what I understand and with the new generators the scammers have a lot of cards to play.

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I've received calls from my own landline, so yeah, anything is possible. I've become very good at ignoring calls from numbers not IDed or unknown to me.

• Options
    wetnapwetnap Member Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I never answer the phone and rarely listen to voice mail. But once I noticed the voice mail was long so I listened and it was some lady threating to sue me because I called her 10 times a day. The same day I received a call from my own number. 

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited May 2022

Today I learned that people still have land lines in 2022. Do you keep the phone on a desk near your telegraph and smoke long stemmed pipes in your powdered wig while you tap out messages?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I had 12 phone calls from my electric company . None of which were legitimate . After the first two that I answered, I figured out it was telemarketers spoofing the company number .They can do anything with phone numbers today .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options

my nerves are so bad now that when I use the telegraph, folks think I am either stuttering or cussing them out, as for the wig, my hair is allready white I don't need a wig..........

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******

Yes!!! I do still have a land line and I actually feel it is a part of the 21st century. Signal reception and transmission via satellite dish! 😁 By the way! This is a favorite song of mine!

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭

My mom and my in laws still have landlines. I cannot think of anyone else I know that still has one

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

You are right, Mr P. Why, any old caveman who still has a landline would probably still also own a bolt rifle or a revolver. With wooden stocks, to boot.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

I just answer those calls with something like "Agent Harris FBI how can I help you" and they hang up real quick. LOL

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

I have a hand held land line, when power goes out I still have a phone. Cell service is not too good out in the sticks. We use regular battery hand held phone for every day use.

I do have a revolver with wooden stocks and prefer a bolt rifle for most anything that needs to be shot.

Most every thing I do is so easy a cave man could do it😁.

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭

First - if you still have an analog AT&T land line - don't let them convert you to digital if possible. They did NOT tell me up front that you had to have your own battery backup. Didn't tell me either you were going to be getting BUNCHES of robo-calls within a couple of minutes of taking a call or making one.

I have several Smith&Wesson revolvers - several bolt action rifles - several SXS - double trigger shotguns - and a few wind up Elgin watches - yes I carry them in what is now my 'change pocket' - with the crystals facing me. And if you know anyone still repairing them - please private mail me.

Best Regards - AQH

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

So if you have a bolt gun you are a caveman?!?

My favorite hunting rifle is a Browning 78 high wall single shot rolling block rifle.

So what is below a caveman??😁

What you don't realize is, when it comes to women, a caveman is where it's at. You pick out a mate. You walkup, whup her upside the head with your handy dandy caveman club, drag her home, have your way with her, when you are done tell her to build a fire and cook up some of that saber toothed tiger you killed yesterday.

So much more efficient than dating. 😂

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

If you are in a rural area, it is possible the phone lines that multiple with the same pair count. So you have service with pairs 1-5 available. The road behind you, has pairs 4-9 available. Pairs of wires 4&5 show up in both cables. If the phone co hasn't disconnected the wires to the houses that multiple, yes you can have someone plug in their phone on a left in connection and be sharing a line. They can use your service when you aren't using it. Make long distance calls and you will get billed. If you have fiber cable no one but you can use that line. Just saying.