In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm sure many of you have ways to purify water. What have you found to be most effective??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

There are so many ways to purify water but what way is best?? On the cheap end, X number of drops of bleach per gallon of water. There are also purification tablets, purification drops, multiple different types of filtering devices. I'm sure there are methods I don't know or have forgotten.

In a SHTF scenario I would like to be able to easily and quickly purify 3 to 5 gallons of water at a time to take care of all drinking, cooking and washing water needed per day.

What are your thoughts??

Comments

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭

Simple pump brand hand pump added to your deep well. Not on the cheap, but it's a very reliable way to get ALL the clean drinking water you want, and fast! For the peace of mind......it's money WELL spent(see what I did there😎)

Life straws are good for the cheap and easy.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

not a lot of help well maybe

but as a young kid I remember family down south used run off rain water and added Clorox ( bleach ) xx amount to each gallon they had a old 55 gallon barrel to catch it , I even remember the old Clorox bottles had it on the label how to use it for that purpose

side note I was about ten years old or so when we visited them and also sadly the last time I remember seeing them part of my dads family ( Mallicoat is there last name ) any way I think they over did the bleach % I am sure they just guessed any way but I can still tase it 55 years later LOL

but as a last resort I still remember it

• notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Boiling works for bacterial contamination. But for chemical contamination, good luck.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

Ditch-Runner - Is this where you got the chlorine in the gene pool? I kid. Or am I?

Bleach is quick but boiling is better. I'd boil the bleached water to cook off the taste. I wish they made Tang that killed off bugs and made water safe to drink.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

Since I don't have a well the hand pump isn't an option but I do remember using one of those hand pumps at my great grandmothers farm when I was a little kid!! Thanks! You brought back some very good memories!

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Charcoal filtering is the most common ingredient in water filters to improve taste but not for pathogenic organisms.If tap water has chlorine in before filtering it will remove that for tasting, A ceramic silver filter would improve your chances with non chlorine water at the tap. Boiling waterwill get expensive as greenies take over the poltical speer.

serf

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Most water sources in mainland US don't have viral contamination and therefore really only need filtration rather than purification. I have found that the Berkey filters are very good, if not expensive, but also attractive.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭

Ceramic filters to filter a lot at one time, but they take time for the water to filter through! Best bet is to have storage for clean water. That way you can filter 24/7 and not run out when you need/want it.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

I thought we were talking low tech no power rain barrel water?

I suppose if you had electricity or a "genny", then a sump pump, a RO unit with a UV to finalize the water is the way to go.

You'll need water pressure to push the water through the Reverse Osmosis unit, if not you'll need two barrels. The first one with the untreated water, hook up the RO unit to the sump pump and dunk the pump in the water filled barrel. Second barrel will catch the pass water (the not quite RO) and a bucket or a 5 gallon jug to catch the RO water. Then pass the RO water through the UV light unit. UV unit will require a small water pump or use the sump pump to move the water infront of the light.

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

When we built our house a friend of mine that worked in a plumbing supply store sold me an RO system cheap. We had it installed and it works flawlessly. The water comes out of a special faucet and it is pure water. We have 2 five gallon tanks that are pressurized by the well and it replaces the water almost immediately. We have been very happy with it.

Joe

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

You could do it like they did in the olden days: first, dehydrate it, then, take a container and add some dihydrogen monoxide to it. Let that sit a spell and you'll have drinking water in no time. Be sure not to inhale any of that dihydrogen monoxide while it sits as inhalation of even small amounts has been known to cause serious lung injury and even death.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Food Lion sells bottled water