In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

small world Rocky............

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

was sitting in parking lot at school waiting for my granddaughter and guy pulled up beside me and turned out to be a fellow I used to work with, he retired a few years before me. I knew he was in the Air Force in Nam and got to talking to him, I have just finished reading Rocky's two books just week or so ago, and ask him what he did in nam. turns out he did paperwork for the green hornets, and got sent out on a few missions when they were short handed, which was most of the time, rest of the time he did paperwork for individual medals, he had QUITE a few stories about different things folks did to earn different medals. Though he didn't remember you specifically Rocky you may have crossed paths at one time or another. he was there 67-68

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

Salute to my brother, whoever he is. No, I was there all of '71.

I have an another Green Hornet living just a few doors down from me. He was there in '68, also. TRULY a small world.

The Horny Greenets (as we called them) were part of the 20th Special Ops Squadron. They flew cover and insertion/extraction missions into Cambodia (and probably elsewhere) out of at least three covert bases in 'Nam. At that time, they were still using US teams. By the time I got there, all teams going "boots on the ground" were changed to non-US guys due to Nixon's claim that "No US troops are in Cambodia." The Hornets flew twin-engine UH-1N helos with heavy firepower including GE mini-guns in the doors.

All of us fell under the auspices of MACV/SOG which you can look up but was a totally undercover, deniable, and mostly undocumented intel operation. Spooks, in other words.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.