In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reel to Reel

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

An expensive luxury today !

The vendor Bezos, sells 7" reels of blank tape for $42.00.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

They were the thing to have for the audio snobs back when.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭

Early to mid 1970s I only actually seen one reel to reel system

I went with a buddy to friend of his house Who had a very nice system . I don't remember much as we were only there Maybe half hour or so but enought time for the fellow to show off his stereo lol

It was Well beyond any thing my buddies and I ever had or have

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

I remember the memorex comercials, can't remember the lady who sang, where she hits high note and breaks wine glass, then last line of comercial,,,,, is it real or is it memorex?

• Options

I remember high end turntables that were sold mounted in a slab of finished granite. Probably weighed40 lbs or more.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,379 ******

I see turntables are making a come back lately. The ones being sold in the stores I have been in do not seem to be built for the quality of days gone by but it is a start. Back when I had some resemblance of good hearing, I could actually tell the difference between good quality sound vs mediocre. Vinyl was always king IMHO.

• Options
    wetnapwetnap Member Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I worked in an electronics store back in 1980. If you wanted the best quality you had a Teac Reel to Reel in your system. Even in 1980 I remember rock groups put their albums out on Reel to Reel. They weren’t no were near as popular as vinyl or cassette but we did sell them. 

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I had a Teac back in the early 80's but sold it when I started having kids.....I still have a Technics SL7 Linear track turntable. I could hang it on wall or even upside down. With A Shure V15LT cartridge, it was hard to beat sound wise. I play it from time to time.

• Options

A friend of mine had a Bang & Olafson system. I never heard it. He never got it out and set it up. It sat in its boxes in a closet. He was afraid of it getting stolen or broken. I can't blame him.

• Options
    yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

I'm just waiting for the tape to self destruct in 10 seconds.......................