In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Property tax protesting?

Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Anybody ever successful in protesting your property tax increase? I did it online and the sneaky guys respond today before a 3 day weekend holiday and it says I have to request info on how they figured the increase 14 days before the hearing which only leaves one day since hearing is scheduled for June 14th... Any help experiences would be appreciated. I'm in Texas if you are wondering and property is ag exempt,

Comments

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I am no help, but hope it comes out well for you...

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago I called and complained and they changed mine while we were talking on the phone

• thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Well this year they valued my house from 220,000 to 290,000 and said in effect if disagree you can have a home inspection. The last inspection I needed to add powered smoke detectors and not just battery ones. Who knows what they'll require next as my house was built in 59' before all the new codes. Saving grace is I'm on S.S. & a pension and I got a $1100 property tax refund last year.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

No complaints here in SC . Just got homestead exemption and taxes are Cheap

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭

I go to their "review" meetings and most of the time (I feel because I appeared in person) they have reduced the value!

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭

Ask around. Most likely your neighbors got increases too! Better to have a LOT of people complaining. And YES they are sneaky and try to keep you from succeeding!

Best of luck to you!

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

Yes, I've protested and complain often. I get in trouble, my wife works at the County Treasurers Office.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

One reason I never buy a building permit for any new additions or work on my property, it just gives them a reason to inspect and reappraise my property value. I've done my best not to incriminate myself for the last 50 yrs and so far it's worked in my favor. Also stats indicate if you contest you'll likely win, tax collectors are local elected officials and want your vote & support, in other words they don't like "boat rocking". 😊

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

First time I called in to the Assessor. I simply mentioned the that Twsp. had a run-off ditch through my property. She checked it out & lowered the value. On another property, the county quintupled the value, 3 years after I bought it. They lowered it (to +10%) after they confirmed it was a legit purchase from a developer & through a realtor. If you have your facts, they will have trouble denying your complaint.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

In Indiana we have a property rate tax cap. Every year the property value is evaluated. My feeling is that the county decides how much money they want to spent the next year and then adjust property values to achieve the amount. Here the property values have risen dramatically and so tax evaluations. This real estate bubble won't last and I wonder if when the market drops 20-30+% will the tax evaluation drop accordingly. I think not. Back to you question Ruger4 me, I did question my bill about 6 years ago. I went to the county office to do this and was told that the person in charge wasn't there. They did call back and said that yes, they made a mistake and my tax would be only a few more dollars than than the previous year.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

Read about California Prop 13. Max 1% Real Estate tax with a max increase each year. Tax by vote can only increase with 2/3rd vote. I don't like politics but I have become involved only twice. One of those times was with Prop 13.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭

they did it to me right after buying a house, just over double what the purchase price was. I had to get two appraisals before I bought the house I took both of them down to tax office, they ended up lowering it to the purchase price, as one appraisal was below and one right on purchase price.

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭

I did this every year in Tarrant County, TX.

Go online, contest it and you get a date.

You go in on that date and there is a tax assessor and a mediator.

I brought pictures of my home along with comps around me and was very successful at suppressing blind tax increases- which in TX can get quite insane.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Thank you to those that replied with info that may help me, a couple others, not so much but hey I can enjoy a humorous response also. Anyways we will see how it goes, worse case I get nothing, best case the increase is lowered. we will see in a couple of weeks.

• bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

rebels eroding the tax base. sell to tax payers. make a huge profit as better housing gets printed.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Property values float up and down, mostly up. IF you cant trust the taxers they should have budget heaings and after approving budgets, then set the tax rate. Most often property taxes don't increase as rates drops if done properly, but remember this is gooberment related.

By all means do contact or even camp out at the appraisers office. I have seem folks get their land values dropped considerably.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

You have interesting dating habits, Warbirds, but I guess there are women who are impressed with the size of one’s deed.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Do large mortgages impress women as well?? 😁

Never mind. Probably NOT. 😕