In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Home School , download classes , solve problems

bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Politics

upgrade the basic school system

Comments

• wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

If I had school age children today I wouldn't let them anywhere near let alone set foot in a public school.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

My experiences with 'home schooling' are pretty dismal. Best way I know of to end up with introverted, poorly socialized, marginally educated kids. The only ones enamored with home schooling are the parents who spend more time bragging about how well their own kids are doing with school work. Problem is, little of the brag is proven. Get some of the home school parents together and listen to the chatter. They have all sorts of 'theories' about the next greatest teaching process.

The poor kids actually think they're learning the important stuff-right up to the point when they have to take the proficiency tests and find they're 'below grade level'. Case in point; I saw the unfortunate results when one 'home school family' tried to get their older Son into high school but discovered he was still at 6th grade level. Poor kid was 20 years old when he graduated.

• US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭

How many of those questions on the presumably "government approved proficiency test" concern: gender, finance, American history, etc?

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

Therin lies the rub.

• mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking that was an isolated case Mobuck.

I taught at a Vo Tec some years back. Most of the folks didn't want to be there. Ages from still in High School all the way to people in their 50's in attendance. Almost all had a hard time getting jobs because they had attitudes, wouldn't show up on time and wouldn't stay off of their phones. When I had home schooled folks come through class they were by far the smartest, easiest to work with, and most employable!! In my experience we would be far better off with more home schooling.

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.

Maybe so. I've seen several instances 'Mommy-scuses' were the justification for poor performance. Several cases in which the home schooled students were not able to function is a 'real' school setting. Cases in which the home schoolers were not accepted by public school students when they tried to take 'in school' classes.

I understand that schools in urban areas are different. When my kids were in school, I knew the school board members personally and knew most of the teachers and school administrators. If I didn't like something, I told them. Painting all public schools with the same brush doesn't work although as more strangers move into our community, our local schools may soon bend the other direction.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Home schooling can be very successful if the students are also involved in other activities to socialize with their peers, The people I've been associated with, (neighbors, friends and family members) that successfully home schooled their kids were involved in the scouts, and other outside of public school extra-curricular activities like dance classes, FFA, 4H, community theater groups, little league and pop-warner sports and also some type of spiritual/church associations. I have also seen a few like Mobuck where the kids didn't know how to act around other folks, but they were the outliners who only home schooled and didn't participate in other activities.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin

Like Ruger, I have seen it work both ways. Would depend on the motivation for wanting to home school I suppose.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Not yet mentioned is the fact that in order for home schooling to work successfully, at least one parent must be there and not be away making a living. Parent involvement includes just about everything that a paid teacher would do.

"Not yet mentioned is the fact that in order for home schooling to work successfully, at least one parent must be there and not be away making a living. "

The results MAY be different if/when 'one parent' uses home schooling as an EXCUSE for not having productive employment.

"How many of those questions on the presumably "government approved proficiency test" concern: gender, finance, American history, etc?"

Missouri in general and rural MO specifically is not what one would consider 'gender fluid', history deprived, or subject to billboard logic. Once upon a time, many of the teachers were local grown, educated within the state, and lived the rural lifestyle. Of late this is less true but mostly, teachers either assimilate or leave. Teachers and/or school officials who 'color outside the lines' or show unacceptable tendencies don't last long.