In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

72 Years Ago

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

Korean War began:

On this day in 1950, North Korea unleashed an attack southward across the 38th parallel, after which the UN Security Council (minus the Soviet delegate) passed a resolution calling on UN members to assist South Korea.

AKA - USA gets stuck for the tab, AGAIN !

BTW, IS THAT ONE OF THOSE BELT FED M-1 CARBINES ? ... 🤣

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭

I was three then, so don't remember the start, but I do remember hearing the end of the Korean War on the radio later on. I ran around whooping and hollering that the war was over.

Not long after, I saw my very first T-33 flying into nearby Scott AFB (Illinois) and wished with all my heart that I could fly one of those. Twenty years later, I did - in planes that actually served in Korea.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭

I was just 2 then. I remember when the Hungarian Revolution started in the mid 50's. Dad was in the Army in WWII, and I asked him if he was going to get drafted again for that. He just laughed and said "No".

Joe

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

I was just a little kid but I can remember my kinfolks that fought in WWII and some of their friends griping about the government calling it a "police action" instead of what it was... which was a war.

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

I was just 26 days old, so I missed that one. 19 years later I got to visit Viet Nam.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******

My late uncle Fritz that I mentioned in the Morse Code thread was a Navy Radio operator in this war. His plane was shot down and he was taken prisoner. Badly mistreated and tortured by his Chinese captors. He survived the ordeal but came home never the same again.

He lived out the rest of his life living with his parents (My grandparents) in between much time spent at our state's mental hospitals. (back when they were open)

To me, he was always a very kind and gentle man. Very knowledgeable in the electronics field and a Hamm radio operator as well. I enjoyed his company and all those things he shared with me growing up. He never mentioned anything about his war experiences. I only learned later after he passed in '95 from relatives, the Hell he endured during the Korean War.

RIP Uncle Francis (Fritz)

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

RIP Uncle Fritz ... indeed.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭

I was minus 21 so I don't remember it very well. LOL My dad was 7 in 1950.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.