In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Air Show

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭

Hill AFB, Utah has their air show this weekend. The Thunderbirds are flying as I type this. I watched them a bit from my deck, until I teared up remembering how I used to fly like that. Never again, of course, but in my mind...

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭✭

Those poor guys have your legacy to live up to. Pretty big shoes to fill. Bob

• Options
    forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭

Yepper ,,,,,,,,

They are standing on the shoulders of men like ‘Rocky’ ,,,,,,,,,,

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭

I was offered the job of T'Bird announcer at one time, and turned it down. Coulda, woulda, shoulda... But at that time, my daughters were pre-teens and the idea of them spending three years in Las Vegas with me gone 300 days a year was not tenable.

On the bright side, that decision eventually allowed me to be the NASA countdown guy, so it all worked out for the best.

Still, there is NOTHING like flying high-performance jets.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited June 2022

Instead of regrets, suppose that some of the same pilots have read your books (I 'm sure that more than a few have) . They imagine themselves as Rusty Naille, flying unarmed into the heat of a battle zone with nothing but their skills, and hopefully a bit of luck, keeping them in the air.

In the US Marine Corps there is what is know as the Commandants Reading List; books which aspiring Marine Corps officers should read. Your books should be required reading at the US Air Force Academy.

Here is a shameless plug for your books, which I cannot rate highly enough...

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1265320.Rocky_Raab