In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trip to town

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******
edited June 2022 in General Discussion

It's about 12 miles to the county seat. At today's gas prices, it costs me about 7 dollars to go there. Today I made 1 trip count for 7.

Put cash in Credit Union

Stopped and ordered tires

Paid county taxes

Dropped my contract off at the school board

Returned some items to Tractor Supply

Got parts at Auto Zone

Went to Walmart for a few items

I'm not usually such a skin flint, but I'm trying to do my part for the New Green Steal.

Comments

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

We live 10 miles from town, so try to make our trips count, too. Driving the wife's 33 MPG car instead of my F150 helps.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭

We like multiple "go-fer" trips also. We always say, what else can we do or get done while we're there. We're also using the internet shopping sites with free shipping more & more.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

We either drive the wifes Camry or my antique Nissan Frontier,The Tundra,Toyota FJ and Jeep are getting a rest at these gas prices.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭

25 miles to closest "city" from me. We do a LOT of online orders. Cold, canned, or heavy items earn a trip to the city.

FJB!

THANKS BRANDON!

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered my groceries on line last night from Walmart's website and they were delivered at 11:00 AM this morning and I don't get charged any shipping charges for groceries from Walmart. I order a couple of weeks to a months worth of groceries at a time. I do tip the driver $10 to $15 bucks but it's a bargain in my opinion because he had a car load today.

Beats the heck out of trying to find the items in the store and then putting them in the cart and then taking them back out of the cart to run them though the machine to pay for them or put them on the conveyer belt at the cash register and then putting them back in the cart and then rolling them out to the car and taking them back out of the cart again and putting them in the car and then bringing them home and taking them back out of the car and then carrying them into the house to put up.

The Walmart driver brings my groceries into the garage and sets them at my refrigerator out there so I don't even have to go outside to get them.

I deposited a check in my Regions Bank checking account by taking a picture of it with my smart phone and deposited it with on line banking this morning. No sitting in line at the drive up window or going inside. You can do it on the weekends or holidays 24 hours a day it's always open.

And I ordered 5 quarts of Castro motor oil and a K&N filter for my car on Amazon that'll be here on Wednesday. Didn't have to go out of the house.

I order so much stuff on line with prime shipping from Amazon at $119 per year that shipping charges don't amount to much of anything. I hear they're going up to $139 next time but that's still cheaper than I can drive or pay for shipping any where else for a whole year.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

The higher the cost of gasoline gets.....the Lazier I get!

Mowing the acreage around my place monthly instead of weekly.😁

By diluting all the liquid soaps used for laundry, hands, and dishes with water, keeps me from having to replace them by quite a bit of time. and we all know, time is $$$ 😁

Do the same thing as above with the wife's homemade soups and stews. Just make sure to dilute with clean drinkable water and not diluted soap water. On the other hand, the grandkids do get a kick watching grandpa blowing bubbles at the dinner table. 😁

Being LAZY requires less calories. Less calories means eating less, so lots of money saved on groceries. 😁

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******

I like the way you think, Brookwood.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, whether you like it or not, we may ALL soon be diluting soup to make it go further🤕

Thanks Joe

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Brookwood-I can relate. I thought I found an 80% empty energy bottle the other day rushing to get to our TEE time. Thought great I'll just add water and it'll be good to go. Little did I know the wife put dish water detergent in this plastic bottle. Got to the 15th whole and was needing a drink. Gulped down enough to start chocking and coughing this stuff up!! My Wonderfull partners just loved it. Then maybe 3 minutes later one said "here, here's some clear cold water to wash that stuff down" took 2 big gulps and it just started all over again😝

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭

"Being LAZY requires less calories. Less calories means eating less, so lots of money saved on groceries. 😁"

I usually experience the opposite.....I get lazy, I get bored, I eat more !!!!

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Last Friday I had several things on my 'to do list'. I hadn't been off the farm in 8 days. I was clerking and younger Son was helping at an auction that was 45 miles from here by the time I picked him up. Had to pick up some parts at two dealerships on the way plus a Walmart stop for edibles. Left home @ 2PM. Standing at parts counter #2, my phone rings. Older Son is in Dallas Tx airport, his flight into the local airport is delayed 12 hours can I pick him up in Des Moines Iowa? OK, I guess. It was going to be 9PM before we got home anyway but now another 4 hours got tacked on. Finished the auction, hauled some crap back to younger Son's house, headed for DM, picked up other Son, and he drove us home. 1:30 AM I'm back home--what a day.

At least I didn't have to buy any gas in Iowa.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Mowing the acreage around my place monthly instead of weekly.

Yep

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

"Mowing the acreage around my place monthly instead of weekly."

We've already made 3-5 trips across the row crop acres(depending on whether conventional or no-til) with at least one more sprayer trip and harvest left. Mowing the yard grass is a very minor blip on the screen.

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭

We are 10 miles out from town (Glasgow). I've cut back on trips to town. Wife still drives to work (12 miles each way)has a old Honda CRV.with decent gas mileage. She has another 1-2 years to go.

UPS and USPS Picks up here for orders going out.

Once a week trip Saturday, to town Walmart and grocery store. If any other Stores aren't open Saturday we don't go there.

It's 40miles to the Big City (Bowling Green), we only go 3-4 times a year anyway. Not much there we can't get locally or order online.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Knoxville Tennessee today. I will pay my gas bill there rather than live in that rat race any day. Even at current gas prices it is still a bargain to live out of town.