In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stock photos = never again

jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

How many sellers here use stock photos?

Twice this year I have been sent the wrong firearm, not matching the description or stock photo.

I don't know why I couldn't learn the first time, but I will never purchase anything off of Gunbroker that has a stock photo.

As for the issue at hand, I will deal with this through the appropriate channels, but wow I hate being burnt.

Comments

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

Good photos of the actual item for sale is the most important part of any listing. Unfortunatel, far too many listers these days make the effort to do that, and instead use stock photos, or photos they took that are fuzzy, dark, etc. Wake up listers. You are losing sales.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Seen one listed recently as the pictures are of the actual rifle your are bidding on.

Looking carefully at the scope and it's mounting the pictures did not all match for the same gun.

When I asked/told the seller about such, their reply was, is just shading difference in the pictures.

My thought was it's a SHADY/decetiful difference. (reminded me a Mister Haney)Getting to be more and more Mr Haney kinfolks around lately.

Instead of admitting to such they lied again. (instead of just correcting or removing the wrong pictures)

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭

way too common on some auction sites add will have photo and say stock photo photo your's may vary a little when you get it ..sure OK always a NO bid for me

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭

We never ever use stock photos for anything.....we do have TEN of the same gun here, its an AR type thing and we took them all out of their boxes to verify that they ARE all the same in every way. I took pics of one of them and I'm listing them all with the same set of pics that I took. They are new in box guns so its not going to affect anything.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited June 2022

I think ultimately a lesson in correlation and causation is in order.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

a couple of years ago i had the hots for a "replica" single shot rifle, found one for sale. auction stated it was a "stock" photo and not an actual picture of what you would receive. i figured if i was going to pay in the four figures for a firearm the least the seller could do was provide me with a picture of what i was buying. so i got with a good friend of mine and ask if they would like to go on a little road trip. so after a 3 1/2 hour trip we arrive at this place and found it was a door way in a small strip mall. i go in and ask a sales person about the gun i would like to see. i was told "oh we dont' carry that in stock if someone wants one we order it after they pay for it. that almost seemed to be fraud to me, trying to sell me something you dont actually own. anyway we left, had a nice BBQ meal in town and headed back home. never, ever again do i even look at an item that has a "stock" photo.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

Look for the serial number. If it ain't there, move on.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

Reminds me of those old "Sea Monkeys" adds in the comics. What I received in the mail sure didn't come close to those pics!! 😁

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

I have learned, (thru experience here), to never bid, or buy now without first making a phone call to the seller and them verifying the item is in their possession and ready to ship. I also ask for the serial # of the item. May get lied to, but that is the best you can do.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

Brookwood reminded me of the tremendous letdown I experienced when I ordered some 'X-ray specs' out of a comic book. That was the end of my brilliant plan to look through women's clothing while I innocently strolled around town.