In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting old is getting old...............

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in General Discussion

What a day......I had my first physical therapy session today....that therapist worked me over pretty good. Now we have a base to work from, exercises to do and I get to see her again on Friday...

I relaxed in the evening and tried to mount a Sig Romeo 1 on one of my semi-autos. Between my eyesight and loss of finger dexterity, I could not get everything to line up so I stopped and will give it another shot tomorrow.. and now I have to find my old reading glasses so I can see it all better.....

Oh well, I am still on the right side of the grass so I will just solider on and keep moving, just slightly slower for now !!!

Hope you all had a decent day !!

Comments

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

What ails you that requires PT? I must have missed something. Good luck and prayers for a speedy recovery.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******

Getting old aint for the weak. Keep on pluggin.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Torn Minicus Root....Not really fixable and most of the surgical options are less than 50-50 at best short of a replacement.

So started with an anti-inflammatory, cortisone shots, Brace when doing any athletic/work activities and PT. Hopefully we can get the knee to settle down and then work on strengthen the knee/Leg and buy more time before replacement, but it is coming. I have to follow the process for insurance to pay.

Thanks for the prayers !

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭

best wishes from here

like most of you old age and a hard life working has taken its toll on all my joints and lower back pain pills and being extra careful what I do get thru the day my mind thinks I am still 35 or 40 yrs old 😁 sad part my body says no way I will just sit this out 😥

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Getting old is not for sissies.

Say you have a torn root.

Is that a nice looking therapist

that is trying to strenthen your torn area?

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I have no PT requirement but I get plenty of exercise and some of that is difficult. Never ending list of 'need to do' jobs.

Got to get a 'shot' in my shoulder soon so I can prep for fall harvest and New Mexico elk hunt. Already building the hunter list for the 2023 NM trip--now that's confidence.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭

I went to my Dr. to check out my right knee. He thought I had arthritis in it. Gave me a script for X-rays at the hospital, and they confirmed his diagnosis. Now my right hip is giving me a lot of pain too. Probably the same thing wrong with it too. I can hardly wait to see what turns to crap when I turn 74 later this year. I still walk 2 miles a day and work out on my weight machine, but that gets to be rough some days also.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

Joe

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭

Getting old beats the alternative

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭

Given there is only one sure cure for being alive, getting old is for the fortunate. Somma you guys prove getting old is also for sissies.😈

• Options
    edited June 2022

This whole process is putting a damper on my usual active life. I average over 5 miles a day walking…lift weights, modified push up and sit ups every other day.. I do work around our farm, our three acre yard and in my shop. This time of year I usually hike in and fish at some remote lakes in the area. I do a lot of this so I am in decent shape to enjoy a long hunting season……

The goal is to get as close to my usual activities as possible….we shall see.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

"Now my right hip is giving me a lot of pain too. Probably the same thing wrong with it too."

I'm 2 weeks away from the third anniversary of my hip replacement. Not a positive experience(understatement) but I'm almost back to where I was pre-surgery strength wise. Less pain and that ghastly grinding sound when I walk is gone BUT overall, less stability and confidence than I had with the OEM joint.

After this poor outcome of the hip replacement, I've decided to forego shoulder surgery--just not worth the problems it entails for the POSSIBLE(but not assured) improvement.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******

As I watched from the back of the line at the state DMV office, the counter person was asking all the people ahead of me if they were interested in becoming an organ donor.

When I finally made it up to the counter, the gal looked at me and never asked that question!! 😲

I recon that I have used up all of my parts pretty well. 😁

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Glad it worked out

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Have had both knees done in past three years . Arthritis had them worn down to bone on bone . Had to walk with a cane. Right knee had to be redone a 2 years after initial surgery . Finally beginning to get straightened out . Now left shoulder is going bad ,.....always something !

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭

Aches and pains are typical with all of us old farts.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would’ve taken better care of myself!

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

I had a bunch of elder symptoms 22 years ago and got over it.