In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Expensive Moonshine

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,470 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this in the liquor store here in Asheville NC.

Two years ago I toured Makers Mark.

Makers Mark makes moonshine, a thousand gallons at a time. 100+proof corn liquor. Then they age it in oak barrels for 7 years, ageing is what is so expensive. Makers Mark probably makes one quart of moonshine for a cost of 25 cents.

Comments

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

and Brandon puts in in his fuel tank. (what a waste)

Old Indain say: (about taking corn and making fuel)

Only white man fool think can take food and make fuel and make things better.

About daylight saving time:

Only White man fool think can take and cut one end off a blanket and sew it on the other end and make it longer.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭

Before I move 40 years ago out of Indy to about 25 miles west I had a neighbor that traveled neighboring states. He was a district manager selling commercial metal fasteners and had done it for years. He gave me a 5th of whiskey once but I wasn't a whiskey drinker. He would buy from a distiller in KY that he had dealt with for a long time. They would make this whiskey 12months/yr. 6 months they had fed stamps & 6 months they didn't! I took a sip and it actually to my surprise was good.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Popcorn Sutton made that there best moonshine Liquor in them hills.Crazy water is The Indian name,they say their liver could not break down the alcohol as fast as a white man. Why do you think there is A BATF & IRS agency? They ask Clyde why he rob banks and he said that's where the money is. Sounds like the government knows where it is too! 😁

serf

https://www.thesmokies.com/popcorn-sutton/

He was also known for being convicted of crimes related to moonshining and illegal firearm possession.

Since his passing, his fame has only become more widespread with a new whiskey company that bears his name and numerous mentions on Discovery Channel’s popular show “Moonshiners”.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,965 ******
    edited July 2022

There's just something wrong about store bought moonshine.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭

NASCAR Legend Jr. Johnson... his legacy still lives.... That stuff is pretty good.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,780 ***** Forums Admin
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,525 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of unaged whiskey. But, IMHO this one is better than most.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭✭

I grew up in the western Carolina mountains.Most of my family on my dads side were moonshiners and I have an idea a few are still in the business.Most of them served time in Atlanta Federal for illegal distillation.One thing I heard one of my great uncles say about moonshine that I always remembered was "That stuff is made to sell,not to drink"

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a bottle and I agree with Jim Deere.

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭

1935  Franklin County was believed to produce the highest volume of illegal liquor in the U.S., colloquially referred to as "the moonshine capital of the world." From 1928-1935, prosecutors alleged that a conspiracy ring had defrauded the government out of 5.5 million dollars in whisky excise taxes, equivalent to roughly 95 million dollars today. The case is the second longest in Virginia’s history and eventually resulted in 20 convictions, including several officers of the law and government officials.[1]

Local lore and historical footnotes weave the tale that, during one year of Prohibition, more sugar was shipped by rail to Boones Mill and Franklin County than to New York City. Like many of the early commerce centers in Southwest Virginia, Boones Mill thrived on the railroad line that weaved through its mountain valley, and bootleggers and moonshiners utilized its logistical power to feed its burgeoning new boom business — moonshine. 

Franklin County is just across SML & they're still active.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,583 ******

I was taught from the experience of a late Uncle on my dads side, to be VERY careful what kind of homemade liquor you consume. Uncle had a good buddy who got very sick, didn't die but spent the remaining years left BLIND as a bat!

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭✭

Always follow Brookwoods advice.Don't drink it if you don't know who made it.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭

Which is why if you "come a hankerin'" for some, you should buy it in the store.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭✭

Gave a couple of guys working on the exterior of our condo just outside Charleston a few beers at quitting time, it was a really hot day. This was a Friday. Monday AM I found a large mason jar at our front door full of ? I talked to them and they told me it was a moonshine thank you! They were from just N. of Asheville somewhere. It had a peach in it and they told me to make sure we are it because it was better than the hootch it was in😀

• KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭

The government could care less about homemade/bootleg moonshine. They do however care a whole lot about taxes.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭✭

Kind of like saying that the government could care less about SBR's..............they just want the tax stamp.

• KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭

You do have me there, there is the safety factor. So I guess they want safe and taxed liquor.

:-)

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

100 proof ain't shine !

The real stuff registers around 180 proof.

... and what brookwood said.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭
  • fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

asop. l grew up in Charleston, North Area.. They used to make GREAT moonshine in Goose Creek, Berkeley County😘

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

My one and only experience with the real thing was in Union Grove, NC.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭✭

There are the remains of no less than 5 stills in the woods ,within walking distance of my house..Daddys first cousin ran a small country store in Seven Springs NC . Reportedly he sold about 3000 lbs of sugar a month during WW2. You must remember that sugar was rationed then. 1943 ,the ration was 2lbs a month per person . Seven springs had a population of less than 400 people .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭

...Years ago a friend of mine would leave East Texas and go to Ok and bring back 75 gallons of moonshine in his truck ever so often...he would bring it back in the silver 5 gallon paint thinner cans...it was a perfectly clear liquid, but tasted like whiskey, and I dont do whiskey...the whiskey drinkers I knew said it was 'smooth, good' shine...the stuff would take your breath away...😝

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,368 ✭✭✭✭

Moonshine is about the poorest excuse for good vodka I can imagine. None I have ever tasted is even remotely drinkable. Maybe it is an acquired taste I never acquired.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,551 ✭✭✭✭

Bought that Junior Johnson stuff when it first showed up in BevMo I remember the label was different and there was a black car and a glass loop handle. Nothing special to me.

Buff's White Dog was gnarly. I liked the small glass bottle more than the booze.

If I'm buying I'll buy the Platte Valley.

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭✭

The days of the artisan made "doubled and backed" whisky made from malted corn left about 80 years ago.

People are running shine made from sugar and chicken laying mash, 500 gallon stills fired by propane. Have seen some trashy homemade setups using a TRUCK radiator as a condenser (lead in the solder will leach out into the whisky as lead acetate). Have seen mash boxes that you needed a rake to fish the dead possums out of the mash.

As the man said- If I don't know you, I am not drinking your whisky. We have a small local (legal) distillery that makes unaged corn whisky- which is every bit as smooth as carbon remover or paint stripper- and some very good rum.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,965 ******

"The boys are plumb beside themselves."

https://youtu.be/oELWmTVR_j4

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

If I remember bad shine run through a radiator will cause Jake Leg, a very crippling issue.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

And bad shine run through a master cylinder will cause Jake brake🙃😅

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭

Revenuers only want the bad corn whisky off the street. Good corn whisky is kept secret

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭

use to buy quarts of home made shine made from potatoes from and old gentleman a lady at work knew. was 10 dollars a quart, as the word got out, it was some of the smoothest shine I have ever drank, no gasoline burn on the backside, He raised the price when it got to 40 dollars a quart I thought to myself I could buy a bottle of good whiskey at the store for less than that. last I heard it was 50 bucks a quart!!!!!!!!!

• lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Templeton Rye, and no, not the crap made in Indiana. This was distilled about 15 miles west of Templton IA. near Aspinwall IA. Unfortunately the craftsman who bottled this has passed on, so it is to be no more.