In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Disappearing pistol magazines

bearcatterbearcatter Member Posts: 7
edited July 2022 in General Discussion

Up until recently at least, most every new semi-auto pistol came with two, sometimes three, magazines. I think it's a poor trend that some are sold with only one mag now.

Here on GB, finding a used pistol with more than one mag is a rarity. Sometimes they are in a fitted case or box that plainly shows an empty spot for the second mag. Where did it go?

We know what happens. At some point along the line from new, spare mags are beamed up by aliens.... LOL. No, they get sold separately for more dollars than keeping them with the gun. The temptation is there. I sometimes see a gun listed online with one mag and I go to parts and look for that mag. Low and behold, there's a mag for that gun listed by the same seller!

I'm in a situation where I have two identical pistols with eight mags. If I sold one, it would go with three mags. Some people would keep all the spares for the other gun.

I have passed up lots of guns only because they only had one mag, especially if the mags are the least bit scarce. The pistol came with two mags, so I want two mags. Otherwise I feel ripped off. Three or four is even better. So long as they weren't robbed from other guns....

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,731 ✭✭✭✭

money and greed had to find a great deal any more on just about any thing the internet changed all of it

when I use to buy a used gun I always ask or looked for one with the most extra mags or ammo or any thing I could recover part of my cost with if I sold them off even just keeping the mags knowing I got them dirt cheap in the package deal I think people realized selling more than one or two mags with a gun people expected the mags to be almost as a fee same with a scope just a bonus but the cost of some magazines and scopes is crazy so selling a couple mags for the cost of the gun is not unrealistic some times

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

one of my pet peeves, shotgun choke tubes. many used guns for sale only have one tube with the gun, most always a modified. most new guns come with at least three and sometimes up to five. its the sellers right to sell whatever accessories they wish to go with their item. however i do factor in the cost of what i consider "missing accessories" before i make my bid. some of that stuff cost a lot of money to replace.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,786 ******

A gun company that charges $80 for extra magazines doesn't want me to buy their guns very badly.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,033 ✭✭✭✭

Always used to get one mag with a pistol in the old days. Then they went to two as an inducement and sometimes three. Looks like the old days you guys love some much are back and here you are complaining. I can live with one mag, I can always buy another, but I am keeping indoor plumbing!

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭

I worked for a greedy dealer who would pilfer extra mags & accessories. If the customer complained, he would blame the distributor. Then play the good guy by finding or replacing the items. Otherwise, they went up for sale a month or so later.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Money is money and mags = money...........if you don't like the deal don't do it. I have acquired good deals because of extra mags and ammo, and then sold the "extras" to help subsidize the original purchase.

• Options
    bearcatterbearcatter Member Posts: 7

To me, selling a pistol with one mag, when it came new with two, is like selling a car with three wheels (although there have been a few cars made with three wheels!).

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭

The one mag has been a deal killer for me.Some mags are hard to find and cost $50.+ when you do find them,