In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Dollar Tree and A1 Thick and Hearty Steak Sauce

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

The 10 ounce A1 bottles of any flavor were almost $6 at Winn-Dixie supermarket stores. The Dollar Tree store had a fair amount of the 5 ounce bottles at $1.25 each = $2.50 for 10 ounces. A little thicker than I like but some was thinned down a bit with Burman's Original Steak Sauce from Aldi's at about $1 a bottle or Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce.

Just in case you happen to use A1 sauce as well.

Best Regards - AQH

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited July 2022

I really like the Burman's Original Steak Sauce from Aldi. Apparently, so does everyone else because there were none on the shelf on Sunday.

There were plenty of $4.99 bottles of A1.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭

We recently bought a bottle of A-1's Smoky Black Pepper version by accident. Turns out we like it a LOT. It's a bit thicker, and the pepper/smoke flavor is quite nice.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Just a little of Sweet Baby Ray''s

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

I like the A 1 thick & hearty once and awhile, but I like my own version of it. I’m not a drinker, but I add 1 ounce of Jim Beam whiskey to a 10 ounce bottle and I really enjoy the flavor it adds.

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

what do you do with it?

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

More than once, over the years.........after ordering a restaurant steak, the waitress would ask if I wanted steak sauce.

Without fail.......I would reply......"No, thank you........I don't want the chef to spit on my steak. "

On a good ribeye.........only salt and pepper are needed. 😀

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭

If ony a good steak you dont need anything why add salt and pepper? Its up to the individual to decide what tastes he likes! Some thing improve the taste of almost anything, like butter. I love the taste of a good steak, sometimes I love it better with different steak sauces.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Salt and pepper are a seasoning and a flavor enhancer. If you're using those, why the distinction against using another - like a steak sauce?

Restaurant steaks are often nowhere near the top quality. Unless you're eating at a place that's charging $10 a bite like Ruth's Chris. If you're sitting down to a wagyu steak, you should be shot for using sauce. But if you're at a Texas Roadhouse looking at their 6-oz Special -- go right ahead. (If you're at Golden Corral on "Steak Night" get the fried chicken instead.)

We had lamb chops last night, which I grilled to medium rare. Wife had applied a dry rub but that's all. No sauce needed.

• Options

BTW, as I handed her a Manhattan, I mentioned the bourbon in the A-1 idea. Her eyebrows went up in a most intrigued way. I think that's gonna be tested...

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

If meat has to be smothered in sauce one must needs look for better source of meat.

Same for fish, good waste of fish if it has to have tartar sauce on it.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

If a steak needs sauce, it probably isn't worth eating.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭

i use the A-1 even on hamburgers............

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

When waitstaff asks if I need steak sauce, I always respond the same way-"is there something wrong with your steak?"

I personally don't think good beef should be a vehicle for some concoction of vinegar and ketchup. If that's that taste I want, I'll order a hamburger and drown that with sauce. But to each their own.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Another good topping for steak I have used over the years.

3 tables spoons butter, 1 cup of sherry, slice of onion cut in half, 1/3 of a green pepper sliced, a few mushrooms. Cook over burner until onions and pepper is done, spoon vegetables and sauce over steak. Enjoy.

• Options
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******

Give me a bison porter house med. No need for no sauces.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Those sauces were originally invented to cover the taste of bad meat and food.

RLTW

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,430 ******

I'll probably catch Holy HE.L.L. for this comment but I like Heinz 57 much better than A-1 😁

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

If you like savory steak sauce, try HP ... 😉😊

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options

HP is good. So is their green label, which is sweeter and fruitier. We keep A-1 and Heinz 57 on hand at all times. We both like it on various meats and don't care if others do or don't.

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

Instead of bottled sauce, I like a smear of garlic butter or sour cream.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

We like Heinz 57. Dollar General has 5 oz bottles for $1 compared to 10 oz for $4 something at Kroger.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options

Try a little of this on a chicken breast

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭

Heinz close second to the best sauce the world has seen and it is GREAT on everything, COUNTRY BOBS!! Made about 15 miles from me.

Say what you want I love a sauce on the side of any steak I have had and that includes so called high dollar places.

• Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭

In my personal opinion, a properly cooked steak requires only a seasoning prior to grilling (no less than four hours prior).

Throw it over some lump charcoal on hot grates around 400 degrees four about four to four and a half minutes a side (depending on thickness and cut of meat of course) and I'm usually pretty happy.

Sometimes if I'm feeling particularly fancy I'll smoke/reverse sear it for about two hours....so yum.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Why any of you guys would buy Heinz "anything" is beyond me. The Heinz company is the source of "horseface" John Kerry's enormous wealth.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭

I am certain you buy things that you have no idea who you are getting "rich" also. I make a concerned effort and it started back in the 80s for me to buy USA when I can. I was well ahead of the game along with Sam Walton who I help make a billionaire only to have his kids become liberal tools..