In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BS ?

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭

Someone told me they had killed several deer with a 30 cal pellet rifle.Not a PCP but a break barrel springer.He said it works with head shots at bow range which I would think that would be less than 30 yards.I,m pretty skeptical but there are lots of things I don't know.

Comments

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭

Possible, yes. I'm a firm believer that any bullet that will kill a human will kill a deer if hit in the right spot at a reasonable distance. Many have been taken with arrows and spears.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Possible but leaning to hunter ethics. My Ruger Air Magnum shoots 17gr. at around 1000fps

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

I suppose anything is possible, but did you ask him how many deer he wounded to get those 2 kills? I am with Select on this - the shooters hunting ethics leave a bit to be desired. No animal deserves to suffer needlessly and his chances of a quick clean kill are in my opinion pretty low. Checking the ballistics, a 30 cal pellet has about 40# of energy at 30 yards and that isn't much. Bob

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

...I call BS...someone would have to hit him in the eye, into the brain...then only GOD knows how far the deer would run...Ive shot a LOT of deer in my life, 50 plus...and I dont think Ive ever had one just fall over 'on the spot'....one I shot from maybe 30 yards, blew out most everything in his chest, what was left looked like burger meat, nothing bigger than the end of your pinky finger, and he still ran a 100 yards thru brush so thick I had to back thru most of it to find him...

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,428 ******

You can also climb a tree and jump down on a deer, killing it with your Bowie knife like I saw Tarzan do in a comic book. Some folks just love to brag. I agree with what was said above about clean, ethical, fast kills.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭

At the other end of the BS yardage scale, I once talked to a guy at the range who was blasting away (literally) with a .30-338. He claimed he shot all his deer at 700+ yards and hit them all right in the eye.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options

I would have had to ask him.... did you get any of them in the left eye?

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with him doing it. These new springer air rifles are driving pellets over 1,000 FPS and will kill a deer with head shots.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭✭

I guess anything is possible. I knew this one guy, or maybe monster would be a better word for him, people that hung around him claimed he punched a cow once and knocked it out.

• Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Maybe next yr with his craftsman screw driver.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

savage, that is unreal. Killed a big buck with an atlatl.

I did see a movie from Africa, some pygmies were hunting the whatever, jimpbok or gazelle or something, with atlatl. These little guys stood about 4-11, so, of course a 6 foot tall man would naturally be able to throw the dart faster. No 4-11 pitchers in pro baseball.

At any rate, these little guys were walking through 3 foot-high grass, and they jumped this animal, about the size of a deer. The animal took off running, two of these guys let fly, range about 20 yards and the African deer was moving fast. In 30 yards the deer piled up, dead, one lung shot and one in the butt. The little tribesmen were pretty good with that dart.