In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remember these guys

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I do.

50 years and a day ago.

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,428 ******

Not quite sure what you posted Sam is correct. Seems to me those guys headed for the moon in '69 and landed in August. Some 53 years ago. ?????

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

Your right it was 53 years ago but Armstrong set foot on the moon in July 21.

Apollo 11 (July 16–24, 1969) was the American spaceflight that first landed humans on the Moon. Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin landed the Apollo Lunar ModuleEagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC, and Armstrong became the first person to step onto the Moon's surface six hours and 39 minutes later, on July 21 at 02:56 UTC. Aldrin joined him 19 minutes later, and they spent about two and a quarter hours together exploring the site they had named Tranquility Base upon landing. Armstrong and Aldrin collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth as pilot Michael Collins flew the Command Module Columbia in lunar orbit, and were on the Moon's surface for 21 hours, 36 minutes before lifting off to rejoin Columbia.

RLTW

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

Hollywood's finest.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,272 ✭✭✭✭

I drove down to Cape Canaveral and watched them launch. What a fantastic sight. Thirteen miles away was the closest we could get, and I swear the roar of the rocket made the ground shake.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Like it was yesterday.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited July 2022

Because it was getting close to my birthday, we'd gone to Sea World in San Diego. It was a warm July evening when a performance by the trained dolphins was interrupted with the announcement that NA had just made the first steps on the moon's surface. The crowd went wild. The National Anthem was played and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. America had done it, and before 1970. The Soviets could pound sand!

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

My family and I watched it with Walter Cronkite reporting , on my 12" B&W portable tv in our kitchen, seems like yesterday to me, crappy fuzzy picture, but WE saw it happen "live". We were so proud of our country and the people that made it possible and those that actually did it.

What a changed world we live in today, so sad, disappointing and maddening of what has become of us as a country.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

I too was just a young fellow watching B&W TV

'if nothing else all the astronauts are a brave group

get into a rocket and know the government goes with the lowest bidder for parts and work and hit the go button talk about adrenalin junkies . and brave people

I have a lot of respect for all of them and RIP to ones we have lost

side note my dad well many people never believed we went into space much less the moon .

my dad even up to when he died ( RIP dad I miss you and love you ) still said it was all fake .

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭

A bunch of guys going to a Klan meeting on the moon? Where's the flavor or diversity? Also they look so young.

Kind a wonder what they'll send up this time around? Be funny the moon people would say "damn this new bunch is alien looking".

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭✭

1 month before my son was born .

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭✭

My dad brought home a Snapper riding mower that day.I still have it and use it to get leaves up in the fall.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭

I was at a rural Midwestern county fair and several of the carnies had little B&W TV sets going. People were crowding up to them trying to see. The picture was very grainy but it was a moment of pride for everybody.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭

I was working for Eastman Kodak and helped with the processing of the camera films they shot on the lunar surface. Amazingly sharp and clear images. Some thought too sharp and clear.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

When considering the cameras being used , custom Hasselbrads if I remember correctly,I'm sure they were supplied the finest film stock, along with the lack of any dirty air/smog and such in the vacuum of space. I would expect crystal clear pics, as long as they kept the lens wiped clean.

"truthful" --"I was working for Eastman Kodak and helped with the processing of the camera films they shot on the lunar surface. Amazingly sharp and clear images. Some thought too sharp and clear."

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

97 degrees and 100% humidity in S.E.,NJ

I was 13 and rode my bicycle over to a buddies to watch.

By the tine I got there, I needed a shower ... only a half mile ride ! ... 😁

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,428 ******

I was camping with my folks and siblings at Deer Park near Lake Superior and Muskellunge Lake in the UP. Watched the landing on a small battery B&W TV in the camp next to us. Never will ever forget this moment in history!

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

I was stationed in Puerto Rico, and attending a fiesta in Fajardo with my GF. They had TVs hanging all over the place. All the music stopped, and we all watched speechless while it was happening. It was a bit odd listening to it in Spanish with English subtitles!

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, missed that on TV. Was in Binh Dinh province, RVN at the time.