In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vortex rifle scope opinions needed?

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have an opinion of Vortex rifle scopes, good, bad, ugly????????????

See some are made in china. (plus others places such as Japan and the Phillipines)

See a place in Wisconsin is warranty service. (Wisconsin, Land of cow manure and beer xarts)

Appears to be lifetime no questions asked warranty service not just to the first owners????

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

I have played around with a few and the lower price points I think are comparable to similarly priced Bushnell or Leupold. When you go up a level or two then I think you get more for your money than you do with a lot of brands. In my opinion, Viper and up have great optics for the money. That being said, I don't own one and have only used friends and as far as I know none have had to use the warranty, so I can't tell you how good their service is. I have a 12 year old pair of their Razor binos and haven't been able to break them yet. Bob

• Options
    forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭

Have several with no complaints, especially on high power rifles.

If you’re a VET you get 10% discount via optics planet ,,,,,

• Options

How are they named (termed) from low end to high end? (I have no idea is why I ask)

You mention viper as one name for example as above others and headed towards the high end. When I say high end I mean quality (better built with better optices and next higher priced etc):

For example Leupold has VX1, VXII, VXIII, with VX one towards the lower end of price and quality.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I think the Razors are the top of the line, followed by the Viper and then the Diamondback.

https://vortexoptics.com/optics/riflescopes.html

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple Vortex Vipers on HP rifles and the Diamondbacks on .22's. Fine Optics

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent for the money.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Diamondback 3-12X40 on my 6.5CM, no problems with it. It is clear, tracks good, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I needed it.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of them and I'm very happy with them. The quality seems very good, optics are sharp and clear.

I'd buy another one without hesitation.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭

For me once the scopes start getting over the 600.00 range my leupolds and Zeiss conquest have a slight advantage in the last few minutes of shooting time at dusk over the Vortex.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

I have 2 of the Vipers , bought a couple of years apart . both have been excellent.. 6-24 50 mm

clear as air, no aberrations , smooth variable, very bright in low light, I have no negatives at all

on mine, would buy another without even needing to look at another brand.

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

I have had the scope and binoculars. The reason Vortex customer service and warranty is so good is they get A LOT of practice.

I guess the scopes are good for a kids 22 or something. I won't count on them to save my life or when I have one chance to shoot at the big buck.

I avoid the brand now and stick with Leupold.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options

You wrote:

The reason Vortex customer service and warranty is so good is they get A LOT of practice.

I avoid the brand now and stick with Leupold.

My son asked me about vortex is why I asked here.

My son and I are Leupold optics users with no complaints. Very good optics in low light conditions. USA made.

My son called me on the phone and asked me about vortex and that he seen one for sale and I said, "WHY WOULD YOU even want ANYTHING OTHER THAN LEUPOLD" Is the Vortex scope free?

I have Leupold scopes that I have used for several years and could sell them for almost what I paid for them when purchased. (When younger I went the Weaver, Bushnell, Simmons, Nikon scope path and got experienced fast with their long term limited warranty or no warranty tactics and some of them costly scopes with lots of parallax and could not see through some of them on a coudy day)

Therefore I'm a little paranoid about expermenting and getting more experienced with any other optics other than Leupold.

• Options
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭

I'm certain to be in the minority BUT I've had nothing but GREAT Performance from VORTEX. I use mostly Crossfire line scopes and will put them up against any scope costing up to 2X the price of the Crossfire.

I'm a hunter not a scope snob. I own a lot of rifles and a lot of scopes. I choose based on performance in the field and value. Spend 2-3X as much on a scope if you want but I'll question if you will get 2-3X better performance.

As far as the warranty: If you actually USE a scope, sooner or later there WILL be a problem. I'll go with a brand that covers ANY failure that occurs and does so w/o quibbling.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭

No scopes, but I have several Binos. My 12x Razors rate just below Swarovski for 1/3 the price. I have Diamondbacks in the truck and my wife has 10x Razor. Also a pair of 6x. You can see I think they are outstanding for the price point. With a scope I would stay with the top two models.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I used to be a die hard Burris Signature fan until I bought my first Vortex. Since then I have bought about a dozen Vortex scopes and one Burris. That should tell you something.

• Options

"I used to be a die hard Burris Signature fan until I bought my first Vortex. Since then I have bought about a dozen Vortex scopes and one Burris. That should tell you something."

^^^AGREE 100%^^^

When my gunshop was in business, I bought(and sold) Burris scopes by the dozen because at that time they were best value in a price point I could readily sell. Lately, I'm buying and mounting VORTEX for my personal use. That should tell you something.

• Options
    edited July 2022

Good info:

I'll put Vortex then as #2 on my list if I (WE) see a used one priced reasonable.

I was a Nikon fan few years ago, but Nikon started leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Had/have some of the top of the line NIKON Monarchs and the power adjustemnt ring and or also the AO would not move easily in cold weather as they aged. (almost need pair channel locks to adjust) Also had one of the 1.5x5 Monarchs on a 22 rifle and the front obj lens fell out and could not be re-installed due to the lens being defective on the edges and came that way from the factory. About 2 years ago (at the start of the pandemic) I tried to contact Nikon warranty service by phone to confirm returning some scopes for warranty repairs and after no email response I tried the phone number listed on my warranty cards (these scopes were also registered with Nikon when new and I kept copies of such and receipts of purchase (so as to cut down on the hassell) and when Nikon answered the phone I asked about warranty service NIKON CS said Kalif area warranty no longer and to send to this address back east AND NIKON NO LONGER repairs or make gun optics and are ending sales of such but will give you a Credit to buy other Nikon products on-line AFTER we see your optics and can place a value on them. (Nikons scope repair phone number westward had got re-directed to Nikon CS back east) I throwed the 22 scope in the trash can and installed the other scope on Black Powder rifles and 22's to use as fixed power scopes. (more experience with scopes)

Never did care too much for Burris. I seen a NEW high end Burris vari power rifle scope a guy had and wanted me to sight it in and work up a load. While sighting in I noticed that as I adjusted the windage the power ring got more friction and could turn the windage adjust the opposite direction and the power ring turned more normal. Tried to call Burris and kept getting a robot and leave a number. Did this several times over about a week) Burris CS never did call back. (I know such because I have caller ID) I had a standard type windage adjust type base and rings so I just installed that on his rifle so as I could dial in the windage with the rear base windage screw and told the guy to settle with Burris himself. Was only few days before deer rifle season and he went through season as is and the scope rifle always shot good groups so he just left it as is so as not to grieve/hassell with Burris.

Bushnell CS warranty service is also on my list. I've sent scopes to Bushnell following ALL of their procedures/policies step by step and would have to call months later and give them my tracking number for proof that they had received the scope and then receive a different scope back that was worse than the one sent, (and you know what list they are on)

I'm a hunter (not just a blue bird day type hunter), reloader, bolt action rifle glass bedder accurizer, and mount scopes and sight in rifle and Black power rifle scopes for hunters.

BUT at a standstill shooting and sighting in scopes due to availability/price/of shooting supplies for last couple years. I live within hearing distance of a outdoor rifle/piston/shotgun range and within last year and a half very little shooting activity at the range, even from LEO's doing practice. (maybe they are using pellet guns or some of them broom handle stick guns from Ukraine area))

I've noticed that:

Experience is what you get when what you got (bought) is not really what you wanted.

AND

Experience sometimes is all I have to offer.

Thanks for the Vortex tips.

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I've heard the "Made in China" complaint a lot. Don't know if that's based on quality or politics. Tell me if you know, who in the United States makes quality glass lens for use in anything. I've heard of NONE.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty certain US optics are 100% made in the US yet and Trijicon might still be

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭

this is an auction I came across that has a nice Viper on it , just throwing it up here for you to see how they look

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭

After all the comments it looks like you will have to decide as there is so many choices, some I agree with above and some not. I have had and use many kinds, types of scopes and have found service if needed varies to some degree from great to non existent. Sightron 36 fixed, recently did me very well, I had a speck of dirt on the inside of lens, sent it and back in 7 days with full lifetime warranty. Bushnell did me great twice with newer higher end scopes that I sent in and back in two weeks. YMMV with any but. One Leupold last year, crosshair messed up, about a 20 year old scope, new one sent. So it goes, good luck.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I have used many brands scopes but since I bought my first Vortex,I quit using anything else.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Vortex is good.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

I got a few Vortex scopes. A Viper PST, Crossfire II, Copperhead or was it Diamondback? I'm having issues with my Crossfire (scout distance). I think my vision shifted and are now in that odd spot where it's not focusing right.

• Options

You say: I think my vision shifted and are now in that odd spot where it's not focusing right.

Try looking thorugh the scope with the other eye to get a idea if it's your shooting eye vision changing little bit. Try this in low light conditions or on a cloudy day. Sometimes you will really get a surprise if it's lot more clear or surprised if it's a lot worse. I can shoot a rifle left or right handed and when my right eye started going away when looking through a scope during low light conditions I was ready to go to the left eye and left shoulder shooting. I lived with the weaker right eye for aprrox 10 years before I got it corrected to normal at a cost of around $4K.

Sometimes when a small gradual change in the shooting eye vision first starts taking place, its not the scope, but some scopes might look little bit clearer, but it's your shooting eye sometimes gradually changing and not the scope. Seems to be more noticeable in low light conditions, early mornings and late evening when good eyesight and a good scope is needed. When a cataract first starts in a shooting eye is one example.

Optometerist (that do not shoot or hunt or familiar with looking through hunting scopes) do not really get the picture of a shooters vision when the guy says, " Dr. I can see through my shooting optics better with my non shooting eye" and he says yes but your vision is still ok for now.

• Options

"I'll put Vortex then as #2 on my list if I (WE) see a used one priced reasonable."

^^^ THIS doesn't happen often since that warranty makes a 'used' scope just as attractive as a 'new' scope. I haunt ebay constantly bidding on 'used' VORTEX scopes because I know that regardless of what may have been buggered by the previous user, I have full assurance that in the end, I'll have a good scope.