In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Panama

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

They are going bonkers in Panama over inflation and prices. The country is have protests like it hasn't seen in years. If this effects the canal it could really be bad.

Mark you still have the condo in Panama? If so when was the last time you were there. I have a buddy who lives there(In David) and he emailed me saying it was crazy on the Pan American hwy. Gas is over $5 a gallon too. He said food is not making it into the city due to gas prices, shortages and the road blocks.

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

Carter gave them the canal, his prodigy Biden will allow them access to our strategic reserves as well as our food.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited July 2022

There was also a hurricane in Panama a few days ago, which is a rare occurrence in that nation. The main roads to the airport have been blocked which is making it difficult for tourists to enter or leave. I have a renter who is supposed leave on Monday- whether he gets out or not remains to be seen. If not, the agency who handles the rental for me has his credit card, so they will keep right on billing him. Since another renter isn't due in until October, it is okay with me.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Volunteers from two Seventh Day Adventist churches in Maryland are in Panama to build a school for the Indigenous people. They were not notified before they left of any problems in Panama by the Dept of State. As of last week, they are in a "secure location", pending resumption of flights & clear roads to the airport.

Neal

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

Problem Solved !

U.S.S. NJ in the Canal

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options

Riots have been going on for 3 weeks. The PA HWY is closed off and so is Tocumen Air port. Not the best time to visit Panama as its the rainy season.

I would rather go down there in Jan or Feb. I was thinking of going down to do some fishing this winter.

RLTW

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

You're right, July is the worst time. I think this renter was an eco-tourist checking out rainforests, which are at their best- 100 degrees and 99% humidity, this time of the year.

When you have firm plans, let me know and I'll put you in touch with my rental agency and tell them to set you up.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

Hasn't the Chinese controlled the canal for the last 20 + years with some type lease agreement with Panama after President Peanut signed it over ? Built with American ingenuity and sweat.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited July 2022

American ingenuity, yes. As for the sweat, the majority of the laborers along the Panamanian Isthmus came from the West Indies, especially from the island of Barbados. The labor force consisted of 24,000 men, more than 75% of whom hailed from the West Indies. Americans held the "Gold Roll" jobs (skilled labor paid in gold) while the gangs who actually built the canal were "Silver Roll" (unskilled labor paid in silver).

Here is yours truly inside the lock at Pedro Miguel...

For my forum fans who claim that I've never been to the places I claim to have visited, tell me how this can be faked?

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭

Mark, your photoshop skills are really improving!😁

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

Far be it for me to suggest Mark, but these may not be fans. We have shared pictures and stories about both of our visits to Europe. You are the real deal! 😉

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I was stationed there from '87-'88.............most recent visit was '96.

Back then we saw lots of Ladas (Russian cars).

Isn't the canal kinda irrelevant now for shipping due to oversized ships?

• Options
    edited July 2022

The Russian cars are long gone. A few years ago the canal added a new, and larger set of locks, which can hand much larger ships. This was something that the United States had planned to do in 1940, but the Second World War intervened.

After the war the Navy began launching Midway Class of carriers- which were too big to fit into the existing locks, and carriers and merchant ships have only gotten bigger since then. With declining strategic value and limited capacity, plus the sharp decline in the numbers of US flagged Merchant ships, which now numbers fewer than 200, the planned US expansion of the canal was put on indefinite hold. With no upgrades, by the 1960's the canal became something of a dinosaur.

• Options

Thanks Mark.

I was there from 93-98 and some of the best fishing in Gatun Lake was in the cuts made for the expansion of the canal. I remember catching some serious snook in those cuts. In the 5 years I was there I think I went to just about every corner of Panama. I really enjoyed my time there and so did my wife. She would move back in a heartbeat.

RLTW

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,996 ✭✭✭✭

I always liked the song

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

What did you do there? I was a 92B (laboratory technician) at the health clinic on Clayton..........bldg 590.........lived at Corozal.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited July 2022

@mohawk600 I was in the 508th as the scout PSG for a year then went to the 5-87 and was their Scout PSG(I wanted to stay in Panama). Then they moved to Clayton I was the Bco 1SG for the last year I was stationed there Jan 98.

11B4V

So I was stationed at Ft Davis then Ft Kobbe. I lived on Kobbe then Ft Espinar/Gulick then moved to Clayton.

RLTW