In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

guess got my money out of it............

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2022 in General Discussion

my old weedeater finally died, it is a kawasaki brand model td-18 and is 30+ years old. my guess is the coil as I can't get any spark and what little does happen is very weak. I have been searching the internet and the only ones I can find are in UK!! I have been told by two ladies that is not the model #, and without the original model # they cannot get a part #. I can read it on the side of the weed eater!!!!! I guess it is to old and parts are no longer available but I figured someone would at least tell me that, not that I don't know what I am reading off the side of it. almost all references take me to 4 stroke mower coils not 2 stroke weedeaters. the one I saw in the UK add was an oblong circle that goes all the way around the flywheel not the little half moon types used on mowers. kawasaki was no help either as they say it didn't exist either, even the the little tag says manufacturer kawasaki, model td-18, dang computers, what ever happened to the old guy behind the counter with a pile of greasy books to flip through, rant over, guess the trash man gets it next week, though I know the replacement won't last 30 years........

and for what its worth, had a bow on my tonneau cover break, the makers sports masters is also out of business so no way to get parts, our stair lift shorted out and Harmar won't sell parts to individual and no local dealers closest one 2 hours away and want to take it back to shop for diagnosis, so two service calls and parts $175 per call, and finally the ignition key is stuck in my wifes toyota, the shop said it is covered under warranty, but no idea when they may get a replacement in, been one of those weeks.....

Comments

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭

Try sandpaper on the coil and the flywheel before you give up. Rust can inhibit the spark.

If your ready for a new one, i suggest battery powered one. I got a dewalt, because i already had a LOT of batteries. It is awesome, and no need to worry about cranking, fuel going bad, spark plugs, pull rope, ect ect.

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

that is a good engine part number but doesnt seem to be any parts available for it. probably time to say good-by to it. and if i may, i would recommend you at least take a look at echo, they are good value for your money.

• Options

have a friend who works on them he told me the spark was to weak to run, and needed a coil and would probubly be couple hundred for parts and labor to get it going again, gonna go get new one in the morning, its just like everything hits all at once, guess thats what happens when everything you own is as old as you are..........

• Options

that is what I am leaning towards looked at a couple this morning. the 5 year warranty and the fact that a local simplicity dealer does the warranty work has me almost talked into it......

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

You do know that as soon as you dispose of that faithful old trimmer,you will find all the parts you need for the repair.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

My oldest son bought a lot of Milwaukee battery tools a few back one a chainsaw and a trimmer /weedeater among them novas no pull starting just change battery's and have at it

As for your old weedeater just monitor ebay if your serious people part out and run across not stuff all the time it may the a little time

But odds are one will show up

Sorry to hear about all the other issues I guess just know it happens to all of us when it rains it pours