In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Computer e-mail problem

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

I have been running the same e-mail program for years. I have moved to Firefox maybe 2 years ago. I get many e-mail/day and most are just fine. A few that I open have instead of a brief message have maybe 100 lines of numbers & letters with a few english words here & there. Is this assembly language? My guess that the message is being opened by a different program but I know very little about computers. (Obviously) These problem e-mail come from various sources. Any ideas folks?

Thanks,

It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

Hi Jeff. Firefox is a web browser, not an email program. What email program are you using? Outlook Express? Outlook? Windows Mail?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Yes, Mr. Perfect - I misspoke. I started using Prodigy to access the internet back in the 80's. It has evolved to what is now called "at&t-yahoo. I believe the email program is Outlook Express. My e-mail name hasn't changed

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

Jeff, my gut tells me that when you get the badly formatted e-mails, that they are forwards. Somewhere along the way to you (via many others) they have gotten corrupted by bad headers or type identifiers that Outlook Express can't decode properly. There is probably little you can do. You might try adjusting your settings to display all messages in HTML format (regardless of source)... or turn that feature off if it is on.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭

Jeff, I'd take out your email from the post or spammers will grab it and you'll never get the end of those... They use web crawlers specifically looking for addresses.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options

Thanks bambihunter though anyone that buys anything from me gets my email address. I'm happy that we members/ buyers are all honorable people. 😏

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭

Jeff, I can't offer any assistance with regard to Windows. I could help if you used Linux, but if you used Linux you wouldn't need any help.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

I get those also. It is from an automatic search program looking for valid email addresses. If you open one it indicates that it made a hit.