In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Viking Movie "The Northman".

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up and watched it over the weekend and it wasn't bad. The whole film was composed of white people. Kind a nice seeing them not knuckle under the diversity flag. Didn't even try to sneak in Samuel L. Jackson or Morgan Freeman. So it was basically 50 shades of white. Anyways kind a like "Hamlet", "Kill Bill", little bit of the original "Conan" with Viking boats.

I did wish they spoke Viking. Like if you were to make a Klingon movie you wouldn't make them speak Mexican, right? Also since they went all period correct in wardrobe they really should speak the lingo and make us read subtitle.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks

For the overview I may check it out

I have trouble sleeping most nights and watch a lot of you tube and movies

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Nice review and editorial commentary.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

It sounds raycist to me. Everyone knows if it wasn't for Africans flying majic carpets to Norway the Vikings would have never done anything but raise sheep and drink mead.

RLTW

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,393 ******
    edited July 2022

I will check this one out. I will disagree with your comment about subtitled language to get the correct effect. I just hate subtitled movies! I read a bit slowly and miss any real action on the screen. Makes any good otherwise movie suck IMHO.

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭

Or, at least offer SAP Secondary Audio Programming

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,364 ******

Heck my hearing is so bad that if I couldn't put on sub titles I would not understand any of the movies I watch... if the other half is not here I raise volume and even with the sub titles i still miss a lot of what is going on...

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

We use sub titles on everything. Specially due to all the different accents. And, we still use replay to figure some things out.

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

And my bride and I thought we were the only ones who do that. Trying to understand even British accents is like listening to a foreign language.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭

I will agree sub titles I do not mind so much as long as the movie is in English or close to it so I can get words I can not understand and thank goodness for replay .

I keep the TV sound system turned up when the wife is not around even when she is with me watching a move super together rare any more but that s different story , I use to count on her to tell me but now some times she can even tell me what was said 😥 my wife use to say the neighbors called it was so loud ( like I would care LOL ) any way I know they could not

any high pitch voice like most women and kids have well I am totality lost I was told many years ago thats the tones ?range of sounds I have lost hearing. thank goodness my wife was sitting right next to me in the doctors office after the test and she can't argue I can hear her but she sill does 😣

speaking of subtitles for many years watching movies I always wondered what is the fellow saying a war move for example a Japanese would speak for what seemed like minutes and the sub title would read " YES " or some other two or three word translation 😲 I ask a few coworker may years ago as I worked with many Japanese and a few American's who spoke the language

they said interesting question , and for the most part what was said it was related to the scene any way

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Sam06  - Yeah since the Vikings were in to slavery and what I remember from The 13th warrior" they did travel to Arab-land so we know some brothas-adjecent would have been traded/sold.

Toolman286  - Trying to watch English movies without sub-titles are a challenge. Get that thick cocckney Michael Caine or Christian Bale is a true education that the Brits don't speak English.

Now me, I have hard time keeping up with fast talkers. I was watching "Everything Everywhere All At Once" where I had to rewind and pause to read what was just said because them Chinese yap on so fast.

Ditch-Runner - Your bit reminded me of this. Gets funny about the 35 second mark.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

While watching one movie, the news was playing on a radio, very, very low in the background. Good thing the subtitles picked it up as it was important to the story line.